Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pump is pretty loud. Is this normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

My pump is pretty loud. Is this normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ZfqyHMBYk

Are these bad bearings or something else? Would I be better off repairing this pump or replacing it with a 2 speed? Is it as simple of a job as it seems? Please ignore the splashing water, I removed and replaced the lid right after the video, guess i didn't have a great seal, it always sounds like that though. It's running on 230V, 1 HP.

2 other questions that are somewhat related:

1) is not having GFCI in-line with any of the pump, lights or deck outlets as stupid of an idea as I'm assuming it is? Is my only option with 220 a GFCI breaker? Why would someone build a pool in 2002 and not put in GFCI, just being cheap because it was in the county at the time?

2) Can I put a SWG behind the pump on the same 220 line/breaker, or do I need an electrician to do another run? (I think I'm out of space on my panel).
    ~26k ~16'x40' in-ground vinyl (the big green monster) - Hayward MaxFlo II 1HP pump - Jacuzzi sand filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump - TF-100 + Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pump is pretty loud. Is this normal?

Bump. Anyone?
    ~26k ~16'x40' in-ground vinyl (the big green monster) - Hayward MaxFlo II 1HP pump - Jacuzzi sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

A couple of years ago we had a new pool guy do our pool opening. The pump was so loud I figured I needed to replace it. Thanks to advice from this forum I checked the 2 drain plugs. The new pool guy forgot to snug these plugs and the noise was horrendous. So check the drain plugs, my Whisperflo pump has 2.

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight.

5. Back To Top    #5

What about that little bit of water squirting out of the lid when you shut it off? You have a pretty good sized air bubble there. I'd check the O ring, and add some O ring lube to help seal it up nicely.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    What about that little bit of water squirting out of the lid when you shut it off? You have a pretty good sized air bubble there. I'd check the O ring, and add some O ring lube to help seal it up nicely.
    That bubble can be caused by loose drain plugs, but the water squirting out of the lid is a sure sign that the gasket needs replacing, the cover isn't tight enough, or there is a crack somewhere. Try removing the cover and the gasket. Clean the gasket, the cover, and the housing really well. Inspect the gasket for cracks or deterioration. Replace if needed. Lubricate the O-ring with a non-petroleum based lube. Then reinstall, making sure the cover is tight and seated properly.

And don't forget those drain plugs. Air in the system can make the pump really loud. Let's hope that's all it is because that's an easy and cheap fix.

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

7. Back To Top    #7

The NEC does not require your pump to be wired with a GFCI breaker; however the circuit to your service receptacle and to the light Must be GFCI protected. Typically it is a separate 120v circuit and is protected at the receptacle by a GFCI outlet which then feeds on the load side to the light. I doubt that any pool or electrical contractor would have installed a light with no protection. Double check your configuration, should be a double pole breaker for the pump and a additional 15 or 20 amp single breaker for the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmartt View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ZfqyHMBYk

Are these bad bearings or something else? Would I be better off repairing this pump or replacing it with a 2 speed? Is it as simple of a job as it seems? Please ignore the splashing water, I removed and replaced the lid right after the video, guess i didn't have a great seal, it always sounds like that though. It's running on 230V, 1 HP.

2 other questions that are somewhat related:

1) is not having GFCI in-line with any of the pump, lights or deck outlets as stupid of an idea as I'm assuming it is? Is my only option with 220 a GFCI breaker? Why would someone build a pool in 2002 and not put in GFCI, just being cheap because it was in the county at the time?

2) Can I put a SWG behind the pump on the same 220 line/breaker, or do I need an electrician to do another run? (I think I'm out of space on my panel).
    Shasta 10,500 gallon play pool/spa, pebble tech finish (10/12), in floor cleaning, 2' free-fall, deck jets, Hayward 2hp SP3400VSP pump, Jandy 8 cartridge filter, LX heater and AquaLink Sunny Phoenix, AZ