lowering Ph before SLAM

May 16, 2014
Sunny California
In a separate post, I was told to SLAM my pool. I have been reading every article I can find but I'm a little unclear on how to lower the PH first. The POOLMATH tells me how much muriatic acid to use, but where do I buy that? Are there different strengths? Can someone link me the info on how to lower the pH (where to pour the acid, how long it takes before I start to SLAM, etc.) Also, how do you know when you are done SLAMing? And before it is safe to swim in again? Also, my CYA (Intex swg) is reading at 85, is that too high?

Buy 31.45% which is also 20 baume at any pool or hardware store. Pour slowly in front of a return and wait half an hour. See Pool School on the THREE criteria for completing SLAM.

Buy 31.45% which is also 20 baume at any pool or hardware store. Pour slowly in front of a return and wait half an hour. See Pool School on the THREE criteria for completing SLAM.

My hubby went to two hardware store and could only find "Kemtek pool and spa care Muriatic Acid." I'm so dang confused I'm almost wanting to take the dang pool down. I thought my numbers were okay and I'm stressed about slamming, and my hubby is stressed about mixing the acid with bleach in the pool (I know they won't be mixed on their own but there is a warning on the acid not to mix it so he is freaked out) image.jpg

That stuff is fine. Make sure you select 29% muriatic acid in the pH row of PoolMath. While MA should be handled with respect, there is no issue putting it in the pool. I do it weekly.

You should store MA away from bleach, as they violently react if they come into contact with each other undiluted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.5oz sounds low to me.

Make sure you set up all the "Now" values in PoolMath including Size and TA.

What is you starting pH and TA (I assume you have not added borates)?

As an example given: 8000 gal pool, TA=70, Current pH =8, Target pH=7.2, Borates=0, 29%MA, you would need 18oz MA

1.5oz sounds low to me.

Make sure you set up all the "Now" values in PoolMath including Size and TA.

What is you starting pH and TA (I assume you have not added borates)?

As an example given: 8000 gal pool, TA=70, Current pH =8, Target pH=7.2, Borates=0, 29%MA, you would need 18oz MA

I didn’t realize you had to fill in ALL the categories if you are only adjusting one. Duh! Ok, now it says 10oz. I am CURRENTLY at TA=80, PH=7.8, Borates 0.
Does 10oz sound better?

10 oz is correct for a target pH of 7.4

If it were me I would target 7.2 (the low end of the range recommended for SLAM) since pH will rise during SLAM and you can't accurately measure pH while at FC > 10.

Bleach is more effective at low pH so aiming lower initially will give you every advantage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.