Summer Escapes - Intex 2650 Sand Filter Upgrade -= FAIL Hoses Too Big!!! =-

Waldog

May 27, 2014
Christmas, FL
Hello Fellow Pool Enthusiasts!

Got a 16x14" Summer Escapes pool, and as most others have discovered the stock pump is less than adequate.

We purchased a 2650 Intex pump from amazon, and it arrived today. I have ordered the skimmer fitting and it has not arrived yet.

The wife picked up the sand tonight at the dreaded pool store as I already read that the home depot sand was not working for most folks.

I setup the filter and went to connect to my pump temporarily as the pool has already been going towards the cloudy side. :-(

Then I discovered the hoses are NOT THE SAME SIZE!!!! :eek: :x (I was trying to connect it to the stock pump output as a temporary measure.)

I know several people on here have made this work, but I am not sure what to do at this point. I went through old threads and it looks like folks were using homemade adapters or modifying the skimmer.

I'm trying to do this as easily as possible and without losing a fair amount of water since I am hesitant to refill with my well water.

Does anyone one have pics or advice on how to easily adapt the fittings?

Or am I stuck using the intex return (which may require cutting the liner! :eek:)????

My adapter for the skimmer should be here end of this week or early next week... I'm hopeful that I will be able to connect the intex pump to that?

I was trying to set this up temporarily at least to help filter the pool, but alas, it looks like that's not going to happen.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, or I'm sure I'm heading to Home Depot or Lowe's to see what I can rig up before or during the weekend.

It's supposed to rain here starting tomorrow and the pool will only get worse. I am leaving the stock filter run overnight tonight in hopes that it can play catch up.

Thanks!!!

Mine has the skimmer, so the drain I definatley cannot use. I have ordered the adapter off of Amazon, I think that will resolve the drain side... once it arrives... :(

I found a few options for adapting my return... I'd really like to keep the existing return if possible so I guess It's a matter of trial and error at this point.

Well I was able to hookup the sand filter last night using these http://www.lowes.com/pd_192069-1003-AFT601_0__?productId=3151503 and a 3ft pool vac hose from Lowe's as well.

The threaded ends pressure fit onto my existing return line, and the vac hose pressure fit onto the exiting pump outlet for the moment until I get my skimmer adapter. Hopefully today or tomorrow.

Ran the filter last night for 6 hours and the pool cleared up amazingly. I highly recommend upgrading the stock pump to a sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.