Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cya test results huge variation!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cya test results huge variation!

Leslie's has been telling me my CYA level is off the charts and I need to drain my pool. Went to an independent pool store and they tested my water and show my CYA level at about 40, with two different test kits. So who do I believe?

Independent store is where I bought my current liner, that appears to be stained light green and they now tell me it's been discontinued because they tended to stain easily, grrrrrrr!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cya test results huge variation!

If you had your own kit and tested yourself, you'd know for sure. Pool store testing is terrible.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

My answer was snarky but true. Describing what type of testing each store did might give results more weight. But home testing with one of the kits recommended here is more trustworthy.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

What JVTrain said is true, the CYA test is the one that pool stores tend to get the most wrong, it really takes time, patience and proper lighting to get right, and pool stores tend to have none of those three. So I suggest you get your own quality test kit, I use the TF-100, see my signature for the link, then you can test it yourself and repeat the test if necessary until you are confident in the results.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

This sort of sounds like the guy who just had his freshly filled pool water tested and they said he had 59 CYA straight from the tap!

Here it is: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...33-Fresh-water

Do it yourself and save!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Test Strips vs Reagent type tests? Two different brands of test strips showed 30-50 range for CYA and Leslies reagent-type test showed 100+ and said that the test topped out at 100. Shouldn't they at least be in the same "Ball Park"?

7. Back To Top    #7

Ideally, yes. In reality, no.

Use an appropriate test kit yourself and trust that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I have to agree with everyone else here. I've used test strips (on a hot tub back in the day)...they are unreliable. Sometimes they are accurate and others they aren't.

Pool store testing accuracy has many variables. Way too many for this science geek. If you get one of the recommended test kits per this forum. You will be able to trust your results. you won't have to second guess anything IMO. Keep the test kit inside when not in use so nothing gets too hot/cold and you'll have success.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor