Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding SWG to pool showing rust spots through cracked plaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding SWG to pool showing rust spots through cracked plaster?

Hi all,
    I am considering the addition of a SWG to my pool, which is also in desperate need of new plaster. There are a few cracks with some rust staining. I am curious, am I going to drastically accelerate the rust and deterioration of the rebar in my pool by adding loads of salt to the water? I am a few years away from saving enough for the necessary repairs and don't what to cause even more damage. Thoughts or recommendations?
    15,000 Gal. IG, Hayward C17502S Star-Clear Plus Cartridge 175 sq. ft., Hayward MaxFlo VS Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding SWG to pool showing rust spots through cracked plaster?

From my Navy days, once rust takes hold it's very hard to get rid of it. I know that ocean water is at least 10 times more concentrated with salt than a SWG, but if you have any rust now chances are it will get worse by exposing salt to it. Just my $.02, take it with a grain of salt.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997