Raising CYA Questions

Jun 2, 2014
Indiana
my CYA is zero, the mixture is completely clear and when filling the tube I can go to the top easily and still see the black dot. That said what is a way to raise my CYA without waiting a week? Is there ANYTHING I can do at all? Also what CYA should I be shooting for if I have a small algae problem? 20? 40? Not a salt water pool, and 30,000g.

Oh ya, thats way to expensive, I would need 3.5 gallons. And I already thought spending 45 dollars on conditioner would be too much as is.So there is nothing else I can do besides wait it out? Is 15 dollars for 3lb an average deal?

I have bought it at Home Depot $20 for 5 lbs. You can get it on eBay cheaper (15lbs for $27), but you have to wait for shipping.

You should buy enough to get to 50ppm (13lbs for 30,000gal).

Initially you should only add enough to get to about 30ppm until your SLAM is complete. Once you are sure your algae is defeated add the rest to get to 50.

Once the CYA is dissolved (in a sock in skimmer or in front of return) you can assume it is at your target level, even though it may not show up on the test for several days.

Oh ok, so I don't have to wait a whole week then? If so that's fantastic. Though I wonder how long it will take to dissolve 7.5 pounds of CYA. That said I do have like a pound of CYA, would it be a waste to start using it tonight and get the rest tomorrow?

My pool store had a 5 lb. jug of 100% granular CYA for under $13. Maybe you could check around price-wise? We only needed about 3 lbs. and my husband dissolved it (more or less) in a 5 gallon bucket and poured it into to the pool. Our CYA reading was up that afternoon. I do plan to check again later this week to see if it's gone higher.

You want some CYA while you are SLAMming to prevent the sun from burning it off too quickly, but not so high that your shock FC level is unwieldy. That's why I said to bring it to 30ppm initially. By the way, SLAM is a process that may take significant time. Don't plan on finishing in 12 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.