Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising CYA Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Raising CYA Questions

my CYA is zero, the mixture is completely clear and when filling the tube I can go to the top easily and still see the black dot. That said what is a way to raise my CYA without waiting a week? Is there ANYTHING I can do at all? Also what CYA should I be shooting for if I have a small algae problem? 20? 40? Not a salt water pool, and 30,000g.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising CYA Questions

Liquid is faster, but ALOT more expensive. Runs $40 a gallon by me.
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh ya, thats way to expensive, I would need 3.5 gallons. And I already thought spending 45 dollars on conditioner would be too much as is.So there is nothing else I can do besides wait it out? Is 15 dollars for 3lb an average deal?

4. Back To Top    #4

I have bought it at Home Depot $20 for 5 lbs. You can get it on eBay cheaper (15lbs for $27), but you have to wait for shipping.

You should buy enough to get to 50ppm (13lbs for 30,000gal).

Initially you should only add enough to get to about 30ppm until your SLAM is complete. Once you are sure your algae is defeated add the rest to get to 50.

Once the CYA is dissolved (in a sock in skimmer or in front of return) you can assume it is at your target level, even though it may not show up on the test for several days.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh ok, so I don't have to wait a whole week then? If so that's fantastic. Though I wonder how long it will take to dissolve 7.5 pounds of CYA. That said I do have like a pound of CYA, would it be a waste to start using it tonight and get the rest tomorrow?

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool store had a 5 lb. jug of 100% granular CYA for under $13. Maybe you could check around price-wise? We only needed about 3 lbs. and my husband dissolved it (more or less) in a 5 gallon bucket and poured it into to the pool. Our CYA reading was up that afternoon. I do plan to check again later this week to see if it's gone higher.
    18K gal 15x35 IG fiberglass w/waterfall & 2 deck jets, Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter, Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 pump, Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 SWG, Polaris 9450 Sport robot, Pentair Rainbow Automatic Chlorine Feeder (for winter), built 4/14, Taylor K-2005 + FAS/DPD

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm that was the cheapest price I could find around here. Also if I'm doing my shock algea treatment at night do I have to even worry about CYA? I plan on cleaning up the pool over the course of 12 hours from 8pm to 8am

8. Back To Top    #8

You want some CYA while you are SLAMming to prevent the sun from burning it off too quickly, but not so high that your shock FC level is unwieldy. That's why I said to bring it to 30ppm initially. By the way, SLAM is a process that may take significant time. Don't plan on finishing in 12 hours.

TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh i thought 12 hours was a long time. Well I put 7.5 pounds of CYA in two big socks today infront of the return. Will start shocking tomorrow night I suppose.

10. Back To Top    #10

It could take days to weeks depending on the waters condition.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!