Pool pump motor recommendation

Sep 11, 2013
DFW Metroplex
I want to downsize my oversized pool pump motor, I was leaning towards a Hayward MaxFlo VS, but after reviewing lot of threads in pumping station it seems replacing my motor would be a good option. I also noticed lot of experts in this forum using 1/2 or 3/4 or 1 HP motors who's' pool size is bigger than mine.

1. My Current pump is Hayward Northstar with a 2 HP A.O.Smith motor, On and Off of pool pump is controlled with Intermatic pool spa control panel model # PF1112T

37557608-517D-45A2-B09A-9BEDE3CB12DF.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2. I have raised spa and my family frequently run the pump in spa mode (it also has a dedicated air blower and we switch it on during spa mode).

3. I have suction side cleaner and want to use it after downsizing (Kreepy Krauly)

I guess a 1 HP two speed motor is more than sufficient for my small pool? Recommendations please.

With a spa you may not want to get a smaller pump than the one you have now. The pump size determines how active the spa jets are (unless you have a separate spa jet pump). Getting a two speed, or variable speed can still be a good idea. The suction side cleaner will also limit how much electricity you can save, since it needs at least a medium speed to operate correctly.

thanks Jason, I am planning to replace the motor for two reasons

1. Relatively less upfront cost
2. low installation charge, $75 for replacing the motor with new impeller kit and replacing diffuser if needed, where as every one asking close to $250 -$320 for new pump installation

Will this motor work for me, it comes with a timer too

1 HP Motor for $310

Impeller assembly Kit for $28

Do I need to change diffuser? According to Hayward, HERE irrespective of the motor capacity its same part number, so I am planning to use the current one.

^^ Thank you all

How is Ecotech reliability? in this forum, I have seen lot of complaints about Emerson but I don't know about this brand.

Update
After a quick google search I found Emerson/US motors are the same company, acamato, how is your experience with it?

My Intermatic timer model # is PF1112T, after talking to one of the pool expert he explained to me that if I connect terminal 1 and 3 to motor and it will by pass the timer control, is that correct? Because Ecotech 1.5 HP VS motor has in built timer and on and off control. Anyone?

My Intermatic timer model # is PF1112T, after talking to one of the pool expert he explained to me that if I connect terminal 1 and 3 to motor and it will by pass the timer control, is that correct? Because Ecotech 1.5 HP VS motor has in built timer and on and off control. Anyone?

Terminals 1 & 3 are for the power supply to the timer. Essentially you are bypassing the timer.
http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/I...Spa/Specialty Controls/PF Series/PF1112T.ashx

I would make the wiring in the panel neater and wire the pump directly to the circuit breaker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ordered - EchoTech EVSJ15-NS from Hydro pool for $329, thanks acamoto for a tip on $10 additional savings. I have two questions

1. Wiring on my Intermatic timer

7d9b0bc7-9a17-428c-ad6f-71f81781a472.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The line out with black arrow goes to pump, as of right now two equipments (heater and pump) on/off are controlled by timer(L2 and L4). The air blower is directly connected to L1 & L3

1. Keep the same wiring configuration and remove the on and off screws of timer and keep the manual knob in on position?
2. Follow similar configuration like my air blower, feed the pump directly from L1 & L3
3. is there any other option?

I have hired a pool guy to install the motor on coming Friday but I am not sure if I need to hire an electrician, any suggestions?

Hmmmm sounds fishy. Pictures?

Edit. Not looking as fishy. I would give the folks at century motors ( used to be AO smith) a call in the morning. They were a huge help when I did my 2 speed upgrade. It looks like they may have a motor line specifically for Hayward north star.

Last edited:
I have a 0.5HP NorthStar on my 22K gallon IG pool. 2HP definitely seems oversized if its really a NorthStar pump that you have. The amount of water even the 1/2HP NorthStar pumps is pretty impressive (Ive had a few pool companies out working on my pool and all of them have commented they cant believe that little pump puts out so much flow)

If its going to be too much of a pain to downsize to a 2 speed, I would think about getting the 3/4HP NorthStar motor and the proper impeller/diffuser for the 3/4HP version.

I have seen a PDF file linked somewhere in this forum that had all sorts of replacement pumps and I know NorthStar was listed in there (albeit with less options)

EDIT: sorry, noticed you have a spa as well. 2HP might be good then, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The 2 speed options for NorthStar replacement are limited but there were a few (I still cant find that PDF I just read last week)

The Northstar pump housing can be difficult to close sometimes. The back of the mounting plate must be perfectly flush in the housing before even attempting to use the locking ring. This can be an issue because the o-ring makes it difficult to seat the backing plate. Some pool lube really helps to get the o-ring in the slot and the back plate seated. A little rotation of the motor back and forth can help too.

The Northstar pump housing can be difficult to close sometimes. The back of the mounting plate must be perfectly flush in the housing before even attempting to use the locking ring. This can be an issue because the o-ring makes it difficult to seat the backing plate. Some pool lube really helps to get the o-ring in the slot and the back plate seated. A little rotation of the motor back and forth can help too.

Yes, I suspect I am doing something wrong, My local Leslies asked me to bring the motor and pump to them, I am going to give it a try, worst case, I may need to replace the pump, is there any energy efficient version of Hayward Northstar? I want to avoid changing the plumbing.

Why not just replace the motor with a standard two speed? Or is the motor not returnable?

What makes a pump efficient is not the pump but the motor. Specifically, any two/variable speed pump/motor is going to be energy efficient.

Why not just replace the motor with a standard two speed? Or is the motor not returnable?

What makes a pump efficient is not the pump but the motor. Specifically, any two/variable speed pump/motor is going to be energy efficient.

That was my first option but unfortunately my current Intermatic (PF1112T ) timer doesn't support 2 speed option, so checked with my local electrician he is asking $99 for installation plus equipment cost for me. My calculation on this comes close to $550 (2 speed motor + new timer with 2 clock + timer installation). I didn't include the pump installation cost on this with the hope that I can do it by myself.

Yes the store(Hydro pool) I bought Ecotech EZ has a 30 day return policy, but I need to pay return shipping plus there is a possibility of 15% restocking fee. It looks like for a Hayward North star pump I need to buy a special motor like below but again my current timer is not compatible for 2 speed

Protruding Capacitor with space on top

Thanks again for your excel sheet, very useful tool,my main motivator to get an energy efficient pump/motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.