Pool cover motor question and a couple of other non related questions

jceh

Apr 11, 2014
palo alto
I've been a lurker for a while and was impressed with all the knowledge. We recently had our whole pool remodelled, retiled, new coping, etc. Everything was fine except for the automatic pool cover. The pool cover motor worked for about 10 days after the remodel. It did seem to struggle to close but had no problems opening. Now the motor opens the pool no problem but when I go to close it. It either just hummms with no movement or it will close for a variable distance i.e. 2-5 feet and then no movement and it again just humms. I called the original pool cover company and they want 5K to reinstall a whole new cover system. It doesn't make sense to me that I would have to replace the whole system. The motor is a dayton 8f047 which is no longer available. We also during this remodel built a custom cement box around the whole sumberged pool cover system so I am hesitant to try another motor since the tolerances may be too tight to just plug and play another motor. The cover company also said that they would not replace the motor since there is too much corrosion in the drive shaft system that the shaft may break. This also makes no sense to me since the forces should be the same whether the cover closes or opens. Thanks so much for any help!

Here are pictures of my system:

14344946721_7748b1128f_m.jpg

In addition, the other question I had is about solar water heating. Is it more cost efficient to install solar electricity panels on my roof to just power my whole house with electricity or to just use solar water heater panels to just heat my pool? Currently I have a gas heater. I live in palo alto, california which gets year round sun and a pretty temperate climate. I'm also interested in potentially using evacuated solar tubes as well. Thanks!

Seems like you could have the motor removed and take it to an electric motor rebuilder and have them tell you whether or not it's rebuildable. If not, they may be able to research a replacement motor that may fit your existing install. The Yellow Pages for your area probably has a section on electric motor repair shops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.