Increasing pH and CHL after AA treatment

Jul 6, 2013
Tomorrow I am going to rebalance after an AA treatment.

First, I have to do a complete set of tests. Then I understand that I have to increase pH to 7.2 and get TA into range using A&H washing soda. How often to I test pH? Hypothetically if I add 30 oz of wash how long do I wait before testing and adding again? 1 hour? 12 hours?

Similarly with CHL, when pH hits 7.2 I know that I can start adding CHL and I know that I shouldn't increase more than 2ppm per day. If I were to add 1 gal of bleach when do I test again? 1 hr? 24? Do I do a complete fas-dpd test or just the visual one each time?

Thanks.

You can test one hour with the pump running after adding a chemical.

There is rarely any need to adjust TA, generally adjusting PH is sufficient.

Remember that the first several chlorine additions will just vanish. Don't be tempted to add too much chlorine at a time, but you can add chlorine several times in the same day to reach your target level.

This is fairly normal. The left over AA consumes chlorine quickly for a while.

You can test and add chlorine as often as once an hour, over and over, until you show a chlorine level at an hour after adding chlorine.

There are other ways to do it, but the simplest is to manually bring the FC level over a few days until it is at the level you normally get with your SWG, and then turn on the SWG. You can turn on the SWG sooner, but if you do you need to be very careful to make sure that the FC level doesn't go up too quickly.

Ok here are my results from this morning:

pH = 7.2
FC = 0.5
CC = 0.5 (1 drop to turn it back to clear)
TC = 1.0
CH = 250
TA = 60
CYA = 20

The CHL results were the same last night. I just added 1 gal of bleach (which is just a bit more than recommended by pool math) and will check again in another hour. I have added a lot of algaecide over the past week during the AA treatment.

What steps should I take today? Keep adding bleach to get FC up to 2.0 and keep checking the CC?

Keep adding chlorine until you can get a level of 2.0 an hour after an addition. Don't worry about CC much, it is worth checking to make sure it doesn't go up, but 0.5 is not an issue.

I suggest you also raise the CYA level just a bit, so it is in the 30-50 range.

Today FC was back down to 0.5. I added more bleach and will test again tomorrow. pH was around 7.5 so added a bit of muriatic acid.

As suggested I added about 2 lbs of stabilizer on Sunday and another 1 lb today. Want to wait a week to get real CYA results so I don't add too much.

Turned on SWG to 20% which ran on Monday. Just upped to 30% for tomorrow since CHL level didn't hold. I didn't test on Monday.

1. When can I return to pH level of 7.5-7.8?
2. Also, how often should you add sequestrant for maintenance? I don't want to wait until I see a stain to add but don't want to over add either.
3. Finally, salt is at 2900. I'd like to add at some point. How long should I wait after treatment to add salt?

1) You can start ramping up the PH right away. As with chlorine you want to raise PH slowly while watching for any signs of stains returning.
2) Small doses of sequestrant are typically added weekly, or any time you see the slightest sign of stains returning.
3) You can do salt at any time. It shouldn't interact with

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.