newbie w/ VERY HIGH CHLORINE & 1st Results of TF-100

melbajr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2013
Florence, SC
Well, I was able to turn my green swamp into a sparkling oasis. But now my chlorine levels are off the charts. http://www.troublefreepool.com/images/smilies/confused.png When using the OT test the color was very orange so I followed up with the chlorine drop test. I stopped at 40 drops and there was NO color change. At all.

Water at 82F:
FC=? 20ppm+
CC=unsure
pH=7.2
TA=70
CH=50 (I know it's not a big issue w/ vinyl, hoping maybe it'll give you a clue)
CYA=40

The PH test doesn't mean anything when FC is that high.[/QUOTE said:
I wondered about that...

Was testing prior w/ strips and CYA seemed ok, but chlorine has been registering very high on the strips for weeks. It's been at least 2-3 weeks since my pool finally cleared up. Probably spent 2.5 weeks from green to clean, the 2nd half of that time was slowly clearing the cloudiness.

Also, had uniform light brown stain on steps that cleaned up easily w/ vitamin c. Have 8-10 at bottom of deep end that look as if they may have been leaves that were left when the pool was covered in October for the winter. Trying to get at them w/ vit C also, but I'm having trouble with being able to use enough "elbow grease" due to buoyancy. No luck so far.

So glad to get my TF test kit. This is my 1st year trying to do it myself w/ BBB (& w/o pool store). This site has been invaluable, as we have never owned a pool before. Thank you!

Last edited:
Leaf stains are organic and should bleach out in a few weeks from the chlorine in the pool.

When I had some rust spots on the floor, I just stuck some clean gravel and some smashed Vitamin C in a nylon, tied a string to it, and dropped it on top. I pushed it into position with the brush. After I figured it was done, I just hauled it out with the string.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.