Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my filter okay?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my filter okay?

My pressure gauge never goes above 20psi. Right after a backwash it's 16psi. The filter can be totally clogged and very little water coming out of the return and the pressure still reads 19-20psi. I replaced the 150lbs of sand this spring with fresh pool sand.

I just backwashed the filter then put my hand over the return to block it to try to increase pressure. Pressure went to 20psi and I hear a sound from inside the filter itself, like water being pressed through a small opening.

Could I have a problem with the filter itself or should I try another pressure gauge?
    18K gal 28ft round AGP, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5HP pump, 22" diameter round Sand filter 150lbs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my filter okay?

Is there any way to know if there's a problem with my filter?
    18K gal 28ft round AGP, Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5HP pump, 22" diameter round Sand filter 150lbs

3. Back To Top    #3

The filter sounds fine but probably a little small for that size pump. You'll need to report more information about your plumbing for one of the pump experts to help you further.. Filter size, pipe size and length on return and intake and number of elbows, number of intakes and returns, size of hole in the return eyes. List anything else you have attached such as heaters or tablet feeder.

You may find that downsizing to the 3/4 hp impeller would be a good option.

4. Back To Top    #4

Attached is a pic. The pipes 2" and are short, one intake and return. No heater or anything else. The pump is an SP1580X15 and the filter is a 22" round sand filter with 150lbs of sand in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

A 2-speed 3/4 full-rated or 1hp uprated pump would would be the first long-term change I would recommend.

In the meantime, Use a larger return eye to lower your low end psi. If you're wanting to see more change on the pressure gauge and you current one is 60 psi, use a 30 psi gauge. Putting a 3/4hp impeller on your current pump would make it a better match for your current filter, but a two speed is better.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator