Whats the correct order of getting my water ready for a 'new' pool install?

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm filling my pool as I speak.

I have a SWG....so i know i need to add my salt.

Do I adjust my CYA first...get my ph balanced and then chlorine....and THEN add salt?

Is there a specific order i should go in?

Thanks gang :)

The first step is always a full set of water test results (except CYA). After that, it depends on the test results.

Salt doesn't affect anything else, so you can add that any time once the pump is running. Also, the first day only you add 2 ppm of chlorine after sunset.

I have an Intex I put up every year. Chlorine should be added manually to the appropriate levels with bleach starting on fill day. Over the course of the next day or two you can work towards switching over to your SWCG.

Pick the CYA level you want so you can determine the appropriate chlorine levels to maintain as you go. I use the liquid instant product and I use 60ppm. I just add the appropriate number of oz per the manufacture to hit my number.

So starting on fill day chlorine manually. Over the next day or two get your salt and CYA in while maintains your chlorine level every evening with bleach. By day three or so you should be ready to transition to the SWCG. This is about the time I take a total alkalinity measurement and PH measurement and start correcting and keeping my PH in line. I usually start on the high end of the recommended run time with my SWCG and dial it back to get my chlorine level right where I want it. It's pretty much all gravy from here.

Oh yeah. If you've got the same SWCG I've got with the copper bars; most folks including myself around here unplug that connector so as to not add the copper to our water. It's not necessary and has some possible negative draw backs.

I use the Intex manual for the qty of salt. I use the Intex manual as my starting point for the SWCG run time. I use the charts, calculators, and recommendations here for choosing my levels and maintaining my CYA, chlorine, and PH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.