Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning filter cartridge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning filter cartridge?

pump small.jpg

I have this Hayward pump which uses cartridge filters. What's the best method for cleaning the filters? Does anyone use a certain type of cleaner? Or just a bleach and water solution?

I saw a tutorial for cleaning another type of cartridge here, but it looks much different than mine. Mine looks more like this one:

24' round above ground pool, 13,500 gallons. Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning filter cartridge?

Just spray the cartridge off with a garden hose set on a tight spray. Then once a year you rinse normally, soak it overnight in a mixture of one cup of automatic dish washing detergent for each 5 gallons of water, rinse throughly again, and reinstall.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks Jason! Someone else was telling me I had to use a special cleaner on the cartridge.
    24' round above ground pool, 13,500 gallons. Hayward cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The special solution usually is for pools with baquacil as the sanitizer. Just one more reason to stay away from products like that.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Also a general rule on when to replace the cartridge would be when the pool filter is clean if your operating psi on your pressure gauges 10 psi higher than when you first put in a new cartridge. For example if you put in a brand new clean cartridge and you note your psi is 8 PSI then 1 year later you take out the cartridge and completely clean it and your operating psi with the cleaned cartridge does not drop below 18 psi then it is time to replace the cartridge.