Baquacil Conversion Finsihed!!

May 22, 2014
Hadley . MA
I am new to the forum and have followed all the instructions on how to convert from Baquacil to Chlorine. We are done (yeay)and switched the sand in the filter 4 days ago.
First, our pool has NEVER been this crystal clear. We bought the house last year and took over baquacil pool and hated every moment of it. Spent a ton of money, time and
frustration was endless, but pool was never this clear. Now it looks great, but I need a little help.....

It is 20000 gallon pool with a Vinyl Liner. My test kit is a TF-100.

Trying to figure out what I need to do. Have a crystal clear pool since the conversion, but something feels not right since the Chlorine just disappears
right away. We followed all the instructions for conversion and after that have had CC of 0. After the conversion I added PH plus and might have put in a little too much?
Yesterday I added Chlorine to reach FC of 5 and it dropped to 0 in a few hours.
I just ran all the tests and this is what I have:

PH 7.8
TA 160 (too high?)
CYA 35
FC 14 ( I added a bit to much this morning because I wanted to see how long it will actually keep on a a cloudy day)(had FC 18 when I had added it)
CC 0
Our pool has approximately 8-9 hours of sunlight on it.

We had turned a water sample in to a store this morning, but the fella would only tell me
that the PH was way way too high and he told me the TA was 60. I ran the PH and TA twice and the results I get are 7.8 and 160 both times. He also told me my chlorine was way to high. He was not interested in helping since I didn't buy the chlorine pucks from him. I informed him that I had only used liquid chlorine (10%)....That was only used to shock the pool according to him, and not to maintain the pools chlorine levels.

So, now I am wondering what I need to do and is it safe to swim if the FC is too high?
Thanks for a wonderful website with great advice and hurray for no more BAQUACIL.

First, don't listen to what the pool store person said. They are simply wrong on essentially every point.

Your PH is fine, though it is at the high end of the normal range. Ignoring TA, I would leave PH alone. However, your TA is also high, and the best way to deal with that is to lower the PH to around 7.2.

You should be familiar with doing an overnight FC loss test from doing the conversion. I recommend doing an overnight FC loss test tonight just to make sure that everything is good. How quickly you lose chlorine during the day is interesting, but it isn't the most thing. If you are losing chlorine overnight, something is wrong. But if you are only losing chlorine during the day you just need to raise the CYA level a bit further.

Ok, OCLT was 0.5 ppm from 8.30 pm to 6.30 am. So this is at least good, right?
What should I do now? Increase CYA to what?
It has been poring rain all day and I just checked the PH and it still seems to be 7.8.

(It was cloudy yesterday and I started the morning with FC 18 and ended the day with 13 FC.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.