Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dry Acid effects in Pool Math

1. Back To Top    #1

Dry Acid effects in Pool Math

In Pool Math, I put in 20k gal pool, TA=100. In effects of adding chemicals section, I put in 128 oz of dry Acid. The result is pH lowers by 1.07. This seems too small compared to real life. Is the calculation wrong?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dry Acid effects in Pool Math

It is an approximation and can be fairly far off sometimes. The effects of adding chemicals section uses a rather approximate method to calculate PH changes. The PH section uses a much better approach and is usually within +-10%. But the effects of adding chemicals section can sometimes be off by far more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Dry Acid effects in Pool Math

The calculation is actually dropping too much. In a 20,000 gallon pool with a TA of 100 ppm, adding 128 ounces weight of dry acid would lower the pH from 7.5 to 6.8 so the pH actually drops by 0.66. PoolMath thinks the pH goes down to 6.94 in the upper section to get to 128 ounces weight of dry acid so as Jason notes that's more accurate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"