Hayward Max Flow 1.5 Self Priming - Replacement Options?

May 21, 2014
Weston, CT
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about replacing my older Hayward Max-Flow 1.5 HP self priming pump.
I currently have a cartridge filter, but plan to change that to DE later this season.
I'm interested in reducing power consumption and increasing versatility.

I haven't decided between VS or 2 speed.

What are your thoughts and what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Bryan

First, do you have any water features, spa, waterfall, fountain? If not you can get a smaller pump, which will be more efficient.

Second, 2-speed or VS mostly depends on your electric rates. Higher electric rates make the more expensive VS pump much easier to justify. What are you paying for electricity?

With electricity around $0.16/kwh it is worth looking at one of the smaller VS pumps, perhaps the MaxFlo VS. The smaller VS pumps don't "play well" with automation systems, but work very well with a standard external timer. They tend to sell for a bit over $600, which should pay back in a reasonable amount of time. The larger VS pumps are better with automation systems, but they cost quite a bit more up front, and probably won't pay back in a reasonable amount of time given your electrical rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.