New pool owner.. Want to go BBB but very very nervous.. Help calm my nerves.. :)

I think you made the right decision going with the TFP method! I'm a new pool owner and was extremely overwhelmed as well when I first got my test kit! Like you I read a ton and just started testing. I also used the advice of people here...it's really invaluable! I've only been maintaining my pool for 7 weeks now and I've already gotten to the point where I can predict where my FC will be after a day or two without being able to test. Good luck and from my limited experience this site and method is the best way to go!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Pool was delivered yesterday! :) Now just need to wait for the installers to schedule.. I'm gonna hit up Ollies and get some bleach and acid this weekend..

I don't need to do any other tests then pH and TA before I fill the pool then?
Nope. That's it. You just need to know if you'll be needing acid or borax or baking soda to fix pH and TA up front so you won;t be scrambling around trying to find it when the kids are whining to get in.

You know the FC and CYA will be zero straight out of the tap, or at least by the time the pool is full, so no point testing it. You can't do anything about high CH and low CH won't hurt your pool, so it doesn't matter. But test it after the pool is full and circulating, just so you know. You won't have borates, and any salt in the tap water will be so low as to be untestable. I think that covers it.

Pool was delivered yesterday! :) Now just need to wait for the installers to schedule.. I'm gonna hit up Ollies and get some bleach and acid this weekend..

I don't need to do any other tests then pH and TA before I fill the pool then?

Looks like Richard covered it all.
Be sure to check the date of the ""shock" at Ollie's. You just don't want it too old. Manufactured in the last 2 months is fine IMO. Newer is better. The higher the concentration, the faster it degrades. High temperatures also speed up how fast it degrades.

Good Luck with your pool and the install! Post pics!!!

Just wanted to say that I love my test kit and you will too! It is going to be your number 1 tool in your pool tool box as you will use it everyday until you learn your pool's daily diet of FC consumption. I have not SLAM'ed my pool since last year when I closed. The only thing I have added to my pool this year is bleach and stabilizer... Oh wait... I'm a fibber, I added borates after being a BBB'er for over 7 years! I suggest you not go there until you get a handle on the TFPC. You are going to love the simplicity the TFPC! All it takes is 5 minutes a day, minus any brushing and sweeping that goes on.

As far as vacations and such, some people will hire a pool sitter, use pucks or SLAM the pool and cover it with a solar cover. :goodjob:

My local ollie's was out of stock of liquid chlorine.. :( Still need to find a good source for that as of right now I have none (or bleach)..

Should I just get an 8lb bucket of this here?

And then other then those two ingredients I'm good until I test and see where I'm at, correct?

Thanks!

Yep. That's all you need so far. Likely will need muriatic acid at some point as pH tends to naturally rise in most pools.

Finding a good source of Bleach close to home with good shelf turnover is a balancing act of chlorine strength, willingness to have more bottles of lower%, price and the one that's overlooked sometimes: cost of gas to get it.

The Leslie's CYA I've heard takes longer to dissolve than say HTH brand, but once dissolved it's all the same.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fleet Farm and Menards in our area carry 12.5% but supply and price can be very sporadic. I'll stock up when it's available or on sale. Sometimes I can get gallons for anywhere between $2 and $2.50 during the May sales they both have. Farm type stores are good places... sometimes.

Our Home Depot doesn't carry pool products, but I know some do. No idea on their pricing or availability, but make sure you check dates on the bottles at larger stores. Sometimes they sell stuff that's been sitting outside for a year!

I can get 8.25% regularly from a newer Dollar General store near us for a decent but not great price of $3 for 121 oz.

Many people have good luck with Wal-Mart since the price is good and turn over on stock is likely high = fresh bleach.

Man.. My pool stores SUCK! Wal-Mart, didn't have ANY stablizer.. Went to local pool store, they only had liquid conditioner and it was like 25% c-acid.. They went to Leslie's and got an 8 lb bucket for $45..

I asked both my local store and Leslie's what I need to connect my pump/filter since I bought them separate.. Both looked at me like I was speaking Greek..

Morons..

So I still need to know what fittings I need.. I got six of these, (2) 6' x 1 1/2" hoses, and (1) 1 1/2" hose.. Don't I need some other stuff in order to have shut off valves etc??

Thanks

Pool is installed and filling up with two garden hoses.. :)

So once it gets filled up and circulating, I'm to add 4-5 lbs of stabilizer? Do I just measure out around 64oz's and stuff it into a sock and put it in the skimmer?

When do I start adding bleach and doing some tests?? I got my test kit but unsure of what all to test..

Thanks!

Pool is installed and filling up with two garden hoses.. :)

So once it gets filled up and circulating, I'm to add 4-5 lbs of stabilizer? Do I just measure out around 64oz's and stuff it into a sock and put it in the skimmer?

When do I start adding bleach and do some tests?? I got my test kit but unsure of what all to test..

Thanks!

I have the TF-100, so it's a little different, but here's what I think.

OK, 4 lbs of stabilizer should get you to CYA of 30. That's good to shoot for. Put in a sock or 2, but not in the skimmer. Hang it in front of the return and squeeze it once in a while to help it dissolve. Like this.

Run a set of tests for everything but Chlorine and CYA as they are zero, then post them here.
pH - (right side of the block test)
TA-
CH-

Use Pool Math to see how much chlorine you need to add for CYA of 30. Use FC=0, target FC = 6, CYA of 30 and the correct percentage for chlorine. (Do you have some?)

Wait an hour for it to mix, then run a set of tests for Chlorine. (Run both the block test (OTO) and the FAS-DPD to see how they both work) Post the results here.

Once we see your ph, TA CH, FC, CC we can make recommendations on those.

Don't worry, the tests can be intimidating at first, but once you get used to them it will be easy... Promise.

I have the TF-100, so it's a little different, but here's what I think.

OK, 4 lbs of stabilizer should get you to CYA of 30. That's good to shoot for. Put in a sock or 2, but not in the skimmer. Hang it in front of the return and squeeze it once in a while to help it dissolve. Like this.

Run a set of tests for everything but Chlorine and CYA as they are zero, then post them here.
pH - (right side of the block test)
TA-
CH-

Use Pool Math to see how much chlorine you need to add for CYA of 30. Use FC=0, target FC = 6, CYA of 30 and the correct percentage for chlorine. (Do you have some?)

Wait an hour for it to mix, then run a set of tests for Chlorine. (Run both the block test (OTO) and the FAS-DPD to see how they both work) Post the results here.

Once we see your ph, TA CH, FC, CC we can make recommendations on those.

Don't worry, the tests can be intimidating at first, but once you get used to them it will be easy... Promise.

Thanks for the reply.. So I should run those tests right after I put the socks in? My pool is almost full but I'm going to shut the hoses off over night.. Still not full enough to run the pump/filter yet.

I have 2 gallons of 8.25% Clorox and the 8lbs of stabilizer. That's about it for the chemicals..

And yea.. This is *very* intimidating..

Thanks for the reply.. So I should run those tests right after I put the socks in?

And yea.. This is *very* intimidating..

Yup, you can actually run a set of tests anytime for pH, TA and CH so you can see if you need any adjustments. CH likely won't matter as you have a vinyl liner and only is an issue if it gets too high. Once the water is high enough you can start up the filter and add the CYA.

I love the TFP method. I can say that it is simple and awesome and I have a clear pool. I check my pool about every four days and add about 1.5gal of 10% at CYA of 50. When it rains I don't do anything. When it is sunny, I don't do anything. When my scrub brush hasn't been used in a while... I don't do anything... when the pool store doesn't get my money on frivolous things ... I am happy!

There certainly is a learning curve to the tests but you will get it down. To build my confidence I went to the pool store to have them confirm as they use almost the same kit. And by going there I got a sweet water sample bottle that I use every week!

Hang in there and keep an eye on your FC until you get the hang of it all! I used to test daily. Now ... not so much

I also recommend the Android App Pool Pal ... totally the best to track all your progress and it pairs with the BBB/ TFP method.... simply love it all ...

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.