New-b.. Not sure what to expect?

B.Love

Jun 4, 2014
Evansville, in
Okay.
Welm have an intex 18x48 above ground.
We set up 2 weeks ago, we followed the htp instructions. Lowered the ph according to strips, then added 3inch puck in the floating dispenser. As I started online digging I wanted to try the. bleach method.
According to those strip my levels are
Ph: 7.5-7.8
Ta: 150ish
Th: 200
Cya: 30-50
now my fc was not reading right away so I added, enough according to pool calculator, to hit 4-5.
Problem I'm having is holding that number. I dump bleach at night, test in the morning @2/4-3/6 mark, by the end of the day I have no reading at all. So from 9-5 its gone. Rather the kids are in it or not. It in full sun till about 3pm. I'm aware I have to add chlorine often but with that puck floating should I really have to be adding that much a night? It's getting pretty pricey.. What am I doing wrong? Low cya, or algae?
I'm aware I need a new test kit, what's the best for my situation?
My husband insisted on going to leslies which they said I need more cya, I really don't want to do that knowing I have to up the chlorine to keep up. Since its only 2 weeks old is it just not self stabilized yet? Ahh! I honestly have no idea what to expect. Help a busy mommy of 5 boys out! I didn't want another chore ;)

No stabilizer, since it turned the color instantly (when I tested tap water it did not) I didn't want to over do it. This Site has me terrified of the pool supply store so I didn't want to listen to them either lol..
How much should I add? Is the htp from walmart ok?
I will order my tests tonight.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using Tapatalk

Did you use any powdered chlorine? How much? How many tablets have dissolved?

The stabilizer from Walmart is fine. Use PoolMath to calculate how much you need, although, I am not sure where you are starting to know how much to add to get to 30ppm.

So is it possible I'm not at the 30-50 mark? Should I have leslies pool test it to see?
No powdered chlorine just bleach.
1 tablet almost dissolved.

With only one tablet, I would guess that you are at real close to 0 CYA. I would add some CYA to the pool. Use pool calc to determine how much you need to get to 25 assuming you have 0 now. Once you get your test kit, test the water and slowly bump it up to where you want it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay I'm about to choke out the husband.. He bought liquid cya, fine. I put in half gallon, then I put in 50oz of bleach last night.
He still has not ordered my test kit which I'm going nuts about. Instead insisted apon leslies testing it. According to them:
Cya-50 (I find hard to believe)
Fc-2.5
Ph-7.6

And they are saying that's perfect readings.
Shouldn't my chlorine be around 5 with a cya of 50 (assuming it's 50)
My test strips show cya of 30-50 chlorine 3-5..
I'm trying to be patient and get it through his skull. But in his head we haven't had a problem yet. Yet! What to do?

Two choices as I see it. Let him deal with the pool his way. When it fails, you get to say "told you so"....Sadly this method will cost you time and money, not to mention the inevitable marriage counseling. :D. The other way is to have him read pool school. The Chemistry behind the TFPC method is sound. If you look at pool chemistry as Chemistry you'll be much better off. If you think it's magic or voodoo...well...enjoy Leslies. Looking at things in life, there's the easy way and the right way. The easy way is rarely the right way. This is true when it comes to testing your chemicals. Nothing is easier than a strip dip test. They're inconsistent. Some of them are pretty dang accurate, but this changes from lot to lot and tube to tube. (probably strip to strip). That rule is also true when it comes to pucks vs bleach. It's really simple to toss a few pucks in a floater and then pour a bunch of magic powder in your pool weekly....but you're stabbing yourself in the leg every time you do it. Eventually it will bring you to your knees (via algae bloom when your CYA is crazy high and your FC isn't). Using bleach is a bit more involved. you will test and dose daily. It takes a whopping 5-10 mins....but it works. Once you do the bleach method (with a proper test kit) for a cpl weeks it will become second nature. The biggest thing you must avoid is complacency. If you skip on your "job" for a few days, you'll pay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.