New-b.. Not sure what to expect?

You were confused about the CYA test ... I provide links to more info about the tests so you would be comfortable with them.
You need to lower the pH before you SLAM (as stated in the link provided).
And you need to know your CYA to know the appropriate FC levels required for the SLAM as shown in the FC/CYA Chart.

TA is the last thing to worry about adjusting after you done with everything else.

+1 What he said. Lower the pH some and watch a video or two of someone doing a CYA test. If unsure of your other reading do one more and then look on the chart and start to SLAM.
Once you start slamming the pH reading will not be reliable until you are back to a more normal chlorine level. That's why it's suggested to adjust it BEFORE you start to SLAM.

Someone mentioned the pool shock at Walmart. I saw it today, HTH 2pk Liquid Chlorinator, $6 something for 2 gallons of 10% P/N 11103 Fleet farm sells 12.5% in a four gallon case for 9.99, way better deal if you have a fleet farm nearby.

It's also handy if you add your pools info to your "signature". Saves having to go back and try to find that info when trying to answer your questions.
1. The size of your pool in gallons
2. If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
3. If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
4. The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the size, model number or flow rate of the filter.
5. If you know, please tell us the size pump in HP. Also mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
6. Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
7. Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes as long as it takes ... 3-14 days should do it :D ... depends on how dedicated you are.

As the process states, you should start by testing and adding chlorine every few hours. As the FC starts to hold, you can test less often, but at a minimum of twice a day. The better you keep the FC at shock level, the faster the process.

Run the pump 24/7 and clean the filter with the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

It takes as long as it takes ... 3-14 days should do it :D ... depends on how dedicated you are.

As the process states, you should start by testing and adding chlorine every few hours. As the FC starts to hold, you can test less often, but at a minimum of twice a day. The better you keep the FC at shock level, the faster the process.

Run the pump 24/7 and clean the filter with the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

Perfect advice.
I'll also add that once your pH is at the level you want, you shouldn't test it when SLAMing. FC vales of 10+ will cause the pH test to not work correctly.

I would read through the SLAM process a few more times slowly. It will make more sense as you read it again and as you go through the process.

I've read it a ton now.. Just got done adding ph minus and vacuuming. Getting ready to buy bleach.
What do you mean when the pressure rises 20-25%
I have to sleep tonight, so what should I do about the night. I'm about to add the 98 oz the pool calc says.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using Tapatalk

When your filter is clean and the pump running, the pressure gauge on the filter will show your clean pressure. For example If the gauge reads 10 psi, you would want to clean the filter when it reaches 12.5 psi. In the early stages of a slam, this can happen very fast ( couple of hours ). If you won't be awake to clean your filter, I would suggest raising your FC slightly higher than slam value, let it circulate for 30 minutes or so then turn your pump off. When you get up in the morning turn the pump back on, adjust your FC and clean the filter as needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As I said, test as often as you can .. at least twice a day. I don't expect you to stay up all night.
If you clean pressure is 10psi, clean it when it rises 20% ... to 12psi.

You said that dumping in a gallon yesterday would give you 19 and your test this afternoon showed 18 ?? Are you asking about FC ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.