Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New-b.. Not sure what to expect?

1. Back To Top    #1

New-b.. Not sure what to expect?

Okay.
    Welm have an intex 18x48 above ground.
    We set up 2 weeks ago, we followed the htp instructions. Lowered the ph according to strips, then added 3inch puck in the floating dispenser. As I started online digging I wanted to try the. bleach method.
    According to those strip my levels are
    Ph: 7.5-7.8
    Ta: 150ish
    Th: 200
    Cya: 30-50
    now my fc was not reading right away so I added, enough according to pool calculator, to hit 4-5.
    Problem I'm having is holding that number. I dump bleach at night, test in the morning @2/4-3/6 mark, by the end of the day I have no reading at all. So from 9-5 its gone. Rather the kids are in it or not. It in full sun till about 3pm. I'm aware I have to add chlorine often but with that puck floating should I really have to be adding that much a night? It's getting pretty pricey.. What am I doing wrong? Low cya, or algae?
    I'm aware I need a new test kit, what's the best for my situation?
    My husband insisted on going to leslies which they said I need more cya, I really don't want to do that knowing I have to up the chlorine to keep up. Since its only 2 weeks old is it just not self stabilized yet? Ahh! I honestly have no idea what to expect. Help a busy mommy of 5 boys out! I didn't want another chore

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New-b.. Not sure what to expect?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Test strips are worthless and provide advice based on strip results is not a good idea. These are the Recommended Test Kits.

Have you added any stabilizer or just the tablets? How many? Likely your CYA is too low and you are losing all the FC to the sun everyday.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No stabilizer, since it turned the color instantly (when I tested tap water it did not) I didn't want to over do it. This Site has me terrified of the pool supply store so I didn't want to listen to them either lol..
    How much should I add? Is the htp from walmart ok?
    I will order my tests tonight.

4. Back To Top    #4

It was the cya 30-50 mark btw.

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you use any powdered chlorine? How much? How many tablets have dissolved?

The stabilizer from Walmart is fine. Use PoolMath to calculate how much you need, although, I am not sure where you are starting to know how much to add to get to 30ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

So is it possible I'm not at the 30-50 mark? Should I have leslies pool test it to see?
    No powdered chlorine just bleach.
    1 tablet almost dissolved.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by B.Love View Post
    So is it possible I'm not at the 30-50 mark? Should I have leslies pool test it to see?
    No powdered chlorine just bleach.
    1 tablet almost dissolved.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using Tapatalk
    With only one tablet, I would guess that you are at real close to 0 CYA. I would add some CYA to the pool. Use pool calc to determine how much you need to get to 25 assuming you have 0 now. Once you get your test kit, test the water and slowly bump it up to where you want it.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

Okey dokey.. I'll get right on it. Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

The only place I have is leslies and big chains, walmart target etc. Leslies says to get liquid. Does it matter or is the hth powder good?

10. Back To Top    #10

Get the HTH powder ... way cheaper.

With only 1 tablet you have virtually no CYA, I agree with the above suggestion.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by B.Love View Post
    Leslies says to get liquid.
    Huge surprise!
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

12. Back To Top    #12

Okay I'm about to choke out the husband.. He bought liquid cya, fine. I put in half gallon, then I put in 50oz of bleach last night.
    He still has not ordered my test kit which I'm going nuts about. Instead insisted apon leslies testing it. According to them:
    Cya-50 (I find hard to believe)
    Fc-2.5
    Ph-7.6

And they are saying that's perfect readings.
    Shouldn't my chlorine be around 5 with a cya of 50 (assuming it's 50)
    My test strips show cya of 30-50 chlorine 3-5..
    I'm trying to be patient and get it through his skull. But in his head we haven't had a problem yet. Yet! What to do?

13. Back To Top    #13

You'll need that test kit. I wouldn't trust that CYA reading at all, pool store results are almost always wrong.
    You won't be able to do it both ways, either follow the advice here or the pool store.

Good luck.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Two choices as I see it. Let him deal with the pool his way. When it fails, you get to say "told you so"....Sadly this method will cost you time and money, not to mention the inevitable marriage counseling. . The other way is to have him read pool school. The Chemistry behind the TFPC method is sound. If you look at pool chemistry as Chemistry you'll be much better off. If you think it's magic or voodoo...well...enjoy Leslies. Looking at things in life, there's the easy way and the right way. The easy way is rarely the right way. This is true when it comes to testing your chemicals. Nothing is easier than a strip dip test. They're inconsistent. Some of them are pretty dang accurate, but this changes from lot to lot and tube to tube. (probably strip to strip). That rule is also true when it comes to pucks vs bleach. It's really simple to toss a few pucks in a floater and then pour a bunch of magic powder in your pool weekly....but you're stabbing yourself in the leg every time you do it. Eventually it will bring you to your knees (via algae bloom when your CYA is crazy high and your FC isn't). Using bleach is a bit more involved. you will test and dose daily. It takes a whopping 5-10 mins....but it works. Once you do the bleach method (with a proper test kit) for a cpl weeks it will become second nature. The biggest thing you must avoid is complacency. If you skip on your "job" for a few days, you'll pay.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

15. Back To Top    #15

Okay the Taylor 2006 or tf100

16. Back To Top    #16

Are you asking? The TF-100 is a better value due to the quantities of the reagents you get and thus the number of tests possible as shown in the Recommended Test Kits comparison.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

K got it ordered! I'll let yall know my results when I get it. Ty!

18. Back To Top    #18

Husband got the Taylor 2006c.

19. Back To Top    #19

Okay results

Fc: 7.2
    Cc: 1.4
    Ph:7.6-7.7
    Ta: 220
    Ch: 140
    Cya: 33?.. Didn't quit understand that one as much.

Now what?

20. Back To Top    #20

Read these: Extended Test Instructions
    Check out the YouTube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main

Use 10ml sample for the FAS-DPD test, each drop is 0.5ppm and that is good enough.

With a CC that high, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast