Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: upgraded to variable speed motor/ should change out impeller?

1. Back To Top    #1

upgraded to variable speed motor/ should change out impeller?

Hey first post here,

I upgraded from a 3/4 hp with 1.65 service factor to a ecotech ez variable speed motor. The ecotech has a 2.4 thp rating. this is coupled to a Hayward superpump with the 3/4 hp rated impeller. would it be beneficial to upgrade to a larger impeller to increase water flow at the slower speeds of the vs motor? currently have sand filter rated at 50gpm and 1.5 inch suction and return piping. the impellers are around 25 bucks from hydropool.com so not a huge investment but don't want to waste my time and money if it would not be beneficial. the pool is 18x36 inground with approx. 24000gallons.

thanks for any insight and let me know if any more info is needed.

bobby

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: upgraded to variable speed motor/ should change out impeller?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Generally the way these pumps work, the more water you move, the higher the electrical bill. So if you NEED more water flow, then replace the impeller, but realize it is likely going to also cost more to run the pump, even at the same RPM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the welcome and the quick reply! I bought the vs specifically to save money so ill run it as is with the small impeller and see how it goes....

4. Back To Top    #4

Theoretically, a larger impeller run at lower speeds to achieve the same flow rate as the smaller impeller should result in an improvement of efficiency. There are less re-circulation losses in the pump chamber with a larger impeller. How much though is hard to say but if you compare the Intelliflo VS (3 HP impeller) with the i1 (1 HP impeller) at the same flow rate, the VS is less than 1% more efficient at the same flow rate.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater