Looking to buy our first pool.. Wondering about pricing and options..

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
I've done a considerable amount of homework.. I've read that the pump/filter combos the "package" deals give you are usually always wrong for the pool.. We know we want a 24' x 52"/54" and from what I've read I want a 3/4 - 1 HP pump and at lease a 150lb sand filter.. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that..

I've been to 4 stores and emailing back and forth with a 5th now..

The Great Escape (More of a national type store):
Quest 24' x 54"
Specs:
Massive 8" wide injection-molded resin top ledges, resist bad weather, chlorinated water and constant wear
Decorative 8" Krystal Kote steel uprights and resin foot collars give the Quest strength, support and style
54" high wall finished with Duratex anticorrosion paint protects against humidity and chemicals
Durable resin caps and boots give the Quest strength, support and style
Heavy-duty tracks, over-sized connectors and over-sized fasteners add strength to a pool that will last for summers to come
Oval Yardmore space saving system saves much needed yard space and looks more attractive
20 Gauge blue liner included with pool price with the option to upgrade to a 25 gauge blue or printed liner
Widemouth Thru-wall skimmer and water return fitting included
Wall Color/Design: Champagne/Panorama
Warranty: Manufacturer's 60-year limited warranty
Made in the USA
- See more at: http://www.thepoolfactory.com/quest-...specifications
Pump / Filter: Hayward 110 SwimPro (Cartridge) with Hayward 2.0HP Pump
Liner - 25 Gauge liner
Extras - Solar Cover, Zodiac Knoticki 2 Pool Cleaner, Maintenance Kit, hoses, yada yada..

Total Price - $3,850 Installed tax included

BY Pools (Local Pool Place)
Distinction 24' x 52"
Specs here: http://www.apollo-pools.com/PDF/pool-distinction_lx.pdf
Pump / Filter: Hayward S180T 18" Sand Filter and a Hayward 1.0 HP Pump
Liner - 20 Gauge liner
Extras - Solar Cover, Maintenance Kit, hoses, yada yada..

Total Price - $4,050 Installed tax included

So the differences in the above.. The first pool has the resin ledges, the second has steel. The first pool is 54" the second is 52".. The first pool has an automatic pool cleaner, the second does not.. The first has a 25 gauge and the second does not..

So all that to say.. The second is more and seems like I shouldn't go with them for the differences noted above.. Problem is, they are local and I would like to buy off them then more of a "walmart" type store.. Are the differences above that big of a deal?

Then there's the last one I'm still trying to get some good pricing with.. LiteHouse Pools.. They have the pool I want the most (at least I think so).. Basically either of these aluminum pools are nice looking.. Looks like for a similar package to what the above offer its around $4,040 plus tax installed.. Problem is, this place wants to just give a 100lb sand filter (on the website it says 100lb but the sales guy quoted me a FIFTY lb sand filter!!)..

So, what are your guys thoughts..

It's pretty deep stuff but check out this thread on pumps, filters, piping, etc.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/830-Hydraulics-101-Have-you-lost-your-head

I suggest reading through and getting what you can out of it but usually smaller HP pump = more efficient, installers tend to oversize pumps unnecessarily. Larger filters mean less cleaning/backwashing and more efficient filtering. But read through it to understand why.

And another question.. I'm guessing I shouldn't need any of the chemicals in their "package" deal if I'm going to try and go the BBB route, right?

What about the automatic system (the Frog thing or whatever).. Guessing no to that too.

Thanks!

So to clarify.. Is this basically all I should need to buy?

24' Pool
150lb sand filter
1HP pump
Solar Cover
Bead Liner
Maintenance Kit
Installation
NO LADDER (get off Craigslist)
NO CHEMICALS (Going to try BBB)
NO AUTOMATIC MINERAL SYSTEM (Going to try BBB)

Am I missing anything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not an expert on above ground pools, but my understanding is steel will rust, the frog system is a mineral system and will add copper, something we actively advise against, unless you like having green hair, etc.

Have you considered a cartridge filter? I use one in the identical size pool and love it. I bought a 2nd cartridge and just swap them out weekly and hose off the dirty one. Quick and easy. Plus simple to break down and store for the winter.

Either way - use this method. Have you experimented with poolmath yet? This will guide you through exactly what to add to the pool as you go. Trust the site - once you are dialed in, the daily maintenance is less than 5 minutes. Just a quick chlorine test and then put in some CL to get to your target level. Every few days throw in a PH test, and weekly run the full set. Thats it.

Thanks.. I barely have any hair left and it's already starting to gray.. Not sure if gray/green is the way to go so I'll keep that item off the list..

Another forum recommended this for my pump/filter setup:

Hayward S220T 22" Sand filter
Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Pump

Thoughts?

The 1 HP, 2 speed is plenty for your pool and the two speed option is nice. You can circulate most of the time on low speed and save money on electric bill.

That's a good sized sand filter if you choose to go sand. You can always go larger but with a short season that's probably good. Check out Pool Filter Maintenance and Pool Filter Comparison before you decide.

So I was at a pool place tonight and he said they don't sell 2 speed pumps with sand filters, only cart filters because the low speed isn't powerful enough to go through the sand.. It's so annoying all the false info they give..

What is everyone's thoughts regarding steel vs resin? I have a pool that has steel columns and a resin ledge.. I also have a pool that has steel ledge and steel columns (this pool has "textured resin coating" applied to the steel)..

I've just been looking and looking for hours and 5 stores and I still haven't pulled the trigger. I don't know if I'm being too anal or what..

Thanks

Customer service - how is it at each of the stores? Will they take care of you after the fact?

I am going to chime in with my experience. I'm not an expert. Our pool is called the Diamond Star, but I think it is exactly the same as the Quest. Personally, I can't imagine being in a 52" wall pool, because I'm tall and just cause the wall is 52, the water isn't. BUT that said, trying to find a beaded liner or a nice liner pattern for a 54" pool is not fun. There aren't as many patterns to choose from and you most likely will have to have an overlap - maybe that is ok for you, but I wanted to point that out.

Next I'm not so sure I like the resin tops. Yes the pool is truly round, but the resin sags if you walk on it but it does pop back (yeah, I know I probably shouldn't but I have to in order to vacuum it). Not that it will break, it just isn't very solid. Also getting a winter cover to stay on was darn near impossible. We had to get a larger cover because the rail is so wide. We gave up on a winter cover.

Next, make sure that they install it correctly. We got ours from a "big Box store" formerly called Watson's. They sub out the install and they did it WRONG. The blocks were too small for the uprights and they put it all on sand instead of sinking the blocks into the ground. Had they done it correctly, I think our pool would still be standing today, but because of the freezing and the sand, everyone of the bottom plates was broken. If it had been metal, they might have withstood the force...but I can't say for sure.

Now the nice thing about the resin...NO RUST! there was a little bit of corrosion on some of the uprights and wall but having the resin rails is really nice and gives a piece of mind that this pool will stand for a long time.

So, It is a personal choice. I am happy with our pool despite some of the limitations of the liner choices and the saggy top rails. My sister has a pool with steel rails and they are totally bent and dinged up. Plus the pool has jagged lines and I like that ours looks like a perfect circle.

As far as the "package" goes, I'd take their basic, sell the stuff on e-bay or craigslist and get your own. Unless they sell a name brand sand filter (Hayward, pentair, etc.). You can get a nice 2 speed pump for about 300.00. Depending on your electric rate, it should pay for itself quickly. We saved 100 per month with the switch (we run 24/7 because of the heater). We got our own cartridge filter because our water is so bad. Every time I backwashed, I'd have to add a little water, which is more chemicals - iron out and muratic acid. I just didn't want to mess with it.

Good luck with your decision. It is tough, but in the end, I don't know that you can make a bad choice with a permanent above ground pool. The equipment can always be changed.

Ok bought the pool! So glad this is done with! I bought it without the pump and filter and plan on getting the ones that I linked on here.. One thing though.. I will have to get all the hoses and fittings.. Not a big deal.. Just need to figure out what I need..

Also, I get no plastic "pad" since I'm buying separate.. I liked those because they had outlines of where the filter, pump, and feeder system would go (even though I'm not going to be really using the feeder system - I did get it in the package and may use it when on vacation and what not)..

What do you guys do if you don't get that plastic pad? Do they sell those? They seemed to be pretty specific to pump/filter combo.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.