Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump draining overnight

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump draining overnight

My pump looses prime overnight. It is about 10' higher than the pool, and i notice that the basket empties out when the pump shuts down for the night. It always re-primes on it's own and has protection if it wouldn't, I just worry that this is a problem. I do not have any check valves, and the plumbing is real tight, so I would have to replace a lot of stuff to try to squeeze one in.
    Is this a result of the elevation, or is there an issue? Do I need to fix it, or since the pump can re-prime in a few seconds, is it OK?
    25,000 Gal, Plaster, IG, Auto CL, Waterfall, IntelFlo VS Pump, Dolphin DX6 Robot, TF 100 test kit, Merlin Safety Cover Lots of Trees!, South Eastern Pa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump draining overnight

I think as long as it primes with no issues it's OK. 10' is a lot, and even the tiniest leak anywhere will let air in and water out.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump draining overnight

The only issue I might have is with my Hayward chloranator ( I know you guys hate these, but I have to travel too much, and use bleach when I am home.). When my water drains back to the pool my chloranator will drain too? Will it recover when the pool pump starts up? I can't see what goes on inside the thing.
    25,000 Gal, Plaster, IG, Auto CL, Waterfall, IntelFlo VS Pump, Dolphin DX6 Robot, TF 100 test kit, Merlin Safety Cover Lots of Trees!, South Eastern Pa