buying a replacement top mount control for Hayward S244T

May 26, 2012
Jackson/New Jersey
Hi, about to open my pool and I need to replace the top control valve, part# SP0714T. It had a crack that I filled with epoxy to get me through the season. The pool is about 14 years old and I've had it for 5 years. I plan on doing the deep cleaning that I watch video on(very helpful). So my question is, I have never replaced one, should I buy other parts to replace also(gaskets, etc...) or just replacing the head should be fine? again the pool is 14 years old....

Thanks for any help!
Brian

Yep. Just order the part, it will come with all the gaskets and parts you need aside from what you'll need to replumb to your existing lines. You'll likely need at least 2 threaded 1 1/2" Schedule 40 adapters to connect the valve to your plumbing. Posting a picture of the current plumbing setup would help. You could purchase a spare bottom gasket as they are the first things to go but that could wait. Some Magic Lube or other teflon based lubricant can be helpful in small doses on the lower gasket to promote a good seal.

JVTrain,
Thanks for taking the time to answer me. One more question, the PSI gauge is completely corroded. Do they make one for salt water pools. switched over 2 years ago after recommendation from this sight - best thing I ever did as far as the pool goes...

Thanks,
Brian

A quality gauge should hold up better/longer in a salt water pool. I'm not sure where you're located or your pool specs (add location to your profile, and a signature with your pool specs so the real experts can help out more easily!) but do you close the pool for the winter/season? Removing the gauge and rinsing it will help during closing.

Get one that's stainless steel and it should hold up well. A complete bronze would also be fine, but they can be expensive and not really much better. If you need supplies for your TFT test kit (if you have one), they also sell good quality gauges. You can also find them on Amazon, I'm partial to the Wika brand myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.