Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: buying a replacement top mount control for Hayward S244T

1. Back To Top    #1

buying a replacement top mount control for Hayward S244T

Hi, about to open my pool and I need to replace the top control valve, part# SP0714T. It had a crack that I filled with epoxy to get me through the season. The pool is about 14 years old and I've had it for 5 years. I plan on doing the deep cleaning that I watch video on(very helpful). So my question is, I have never replaced one, should I buy other parts to replace also(gaskets, etc...) or just replacing the head should be fine? again the pool is 14 years old....

Thanks for any help!
    Brian

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: buying a replacement top mount control for Hayward S244T

Yep. Just order the part, it will come with all the gaskets and parts you need aside from what you'll need to replumb to your existing lines. You'll likely need at least 2 threaded 1 1/2" Schedule 40 adapters to connect the valve to your plumbing. Posting a picture of the current plumbing setup would help. You could purchase a spare bottom gasket as they are the first things to go but that could wait. Some Magic Lube or other teflon based lubricant can be helpful in small doses on the lower gasket to promote a good seal.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

JVTrain,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer me. One more question, the PSI gauge is completely corroded. Do they make one for salt water pools. switched over 2 years ago after recommendation from this sight - best thing I ever did as far as the pool goes...

Thanks,
    Brian

4. Back To Top    #4

A quality gauge should hold up better/longer in a salt water pool. I'm not sure where you're located or your pool specs (add location to your profile, and a signature with your pool specs so the real experts can help out more easily!) but do you close the pool for the winter/season? Removing the gauge and rinsing it will help during closing.

Get one that's stainless steel and it should hold up well. A complete bronze would also be fine, but they can be expensive and not really much better. If you need supplies for your TFT test kit (if you have one), they also sell good quality gauges. You can also find them on Amazon, I'm partial to the Wika brand myself.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Also forgot to add that and oil-filled gauge is nice as they are more stable and reliable. I don't have one yet but have heard from others here that they love them.