Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Water Test Results

When using my Taylor 2006 kit and checking FC & CC, should I be using the 25ml or the 10ml samlpe? Does it make any difference?
    It indicates 2 scopes of DPD powder. Am I understanding this correctly?
    Tredd23-Central NJ
    In-Ground-20x12 Vinyl liner (7600gal)/1.5hp Super pump/300# Sand filter (oversized I know)/In-line chlorinator (I use 3' pucks)only to maintain CYA/150K BTU Hayward gas heater/Water temp maintained at 85/Clear 16mil solar blanket/Taylor 2006 test kit
    Vita Joli spa 250gal/cartridge filters w/ozonator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Test Results

Use the 10ml sample.

Here's a link to Extended Test Kit Instructions
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions

The 25ml sample uses more reagents and is more precise, but generally not needed.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, that's what i was thinking.
    Thanks for the reply. Just need clarification on the DPD powder. 10ml still gets 2-dippers?
    Tredd23-Central NJ
    In-Ground-20x12 Vinyl liner (7600gal)/1.5hp Super pump/300# Sand filter (oversized I know)/In-line chlorinator (I use 3' pucks)only to maintain CYA/150K BTU Hayward gas heater/Water temp maintained at 85/Clear 16mil solar blanket/Taylor 2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Tredd23 View Post
    Ok, that's what i was thinking.
    Thanks for the reply. Just need clarification on the DPD powder. 10ml still gets 2-dippers?
    From the link above:
    Using the small spoon shaped end of the dipper, add one heaping dipper, or two level dippers, of R-0870 and swirl to mix. If ....
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again for the reply. One other question though....referring to the CC part of the test. Is there no way to tell a more accurate reading? I've in the process of slamming and each time after adding the 5 drops of R-0003 it may turn ever so slightly a shade of pink. With adding one drop of R-871 it goes completely colorless. So in this intense does it still mean that the reading would be .5, which will require me to continue the slamming process until it remains completely colorless after adding the R-003
    Thanks again and I appreciate TFP the more I learn.
    Tredd23-Central NJ

6. Back To Top    #6

What you described is .5 CC, which is fine. The SLAM process is complete when you pass three criteria. See red lines in my sig

You still have to have clear water, and pass the OCLT (Pool School) to determine if you have the 1 or less FC loss overnight.

7. Back To Top    #7

Gotcha......... .5ppm or less. Ok, then I just have to have the overnight test pass and I'm good. Water is the clearest I've ever seen it.
    Thanks! Becoming more of a supporter by the minute.
    Tredd23-Central NJ

8. Back To Top    #8

How many hours of no sunlight on the pool would be enough to constitute a overnight FC loss test? Just watched the weather and we are expecting an inch or more of rain staring at 3AM or so.
    It's 630PM here now, could I test around 1AM and would that be enough time?
    Tredd23-Central NJ

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tredd23 View Post
    How many hours of no sunlight on the pool would be enough to constitute a overnight FC loss test? Just watched the weather and we are expecting an inch or more of rain staring at 3AM or so.
    It's 630PM here now, could I test around 1AM and would that be enough time?
    I think the answer to this is, Yes, that should be enough time. But, let's get at least one confirmation on that

10. Back To Top    #10

That is a bit on the short side, but should be usable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I tested the FC at 1230am and it dropped less than 1ppm (checked it twice). This was roughly a six hour period. I'm hopeful that the slamming process was complete. The water was clear, CC was .5 or less and the FC appeared to hold. I gave it a 2-3ppm shot of chlorine for good measure but will stop adding any more at this point. I would like it to come down from 20ppm to safe swim levels for the weekend.
    Can I still do the overnight FC loss test with the residual FC amount, pump NOT running over night, etc? Just to confirm the slam was complete.
    Tredd23-Central NJ

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, since Jason said it was a bit on the short side for time, I suggest you do another OCLT with pump running. We don't know what your residual FC will be. So, I suggest you have FC somewhere between target and SLAM/shock level for the OCLT.

13. Back To Top    #13

Did an OCLT test last night. FC at 8pm it was 12.5ppm. At 7am this morning FC it was 12-12.5ppm. CC was zero (or near zero) for both tests. Thanks for all the help and after FC drops to around 6ppm I'll make sure all other test results are in range. I will try to maintain a target FC of 6ppm for a CYA of 35ppm.
    Tredd23-Central NJ