Jun 2, 2014
Houma la
I know not specifically about pools, but since this is the expert board I figured I'd ask here.... Any suggestions to keep wasps (paper wasps) away from the pool? I know I can't get rid of all of them, but I am severely allergic and the neighbors seem to be breeding an army of them in their tree right next to the fence by our pool...

I seriously thought about sneeking outside at night and spraying thier tree with wasp spray... But that would be rude lol

Welcome to TFP!:wave:

If your neighbor is uncooperative in taking steps to remove the nests, several states provide the adjacent property owner (you) with rights if parts of the tree cross over the plane delineating the property line and hang over your property. This is often defined in legal terms as a "nuisance". Some states allow you to trim or treat (as in the case of spraying a wasp nest) any branches hanging over your property line. You may want to check the laws in your state to see if and to what extent these laws apply.

A few other alternatives (aside from commercial insecticides) that you can try include these (and each one should costs no more than around $10):

1. Artificial wasp nests. The theory is that wasps are territorial and will avoid areas containing an existing nest.
  2. Here's a natural alternative: A mix of water, liquid dishwashing detergent, and peppermint essential oil - fill a spray bottle about 75% to the top with water, then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the dishwashing detergent, and top that off with about 20 drops of peppermint oil. You can spray the wasps directly or spray it as a deterrent under eaves or wherever wasps may pose a problem. I've starting using this and it seems to be working. We commented the other day that we have not noticed as many wasps compared to past years.
  3. WD-40 - I've used this one too. Something in there that wasps don't seem to like.

If they start going into the pool, you can add borates up to a maximum level of 50 ppm. But I would suggest trying one of the above suggestions before resorting to this.

I use used motor oil on bees from a spray bottle on stream. It will kill yellow jackets the moment it hits them. Waspers it usually takes about a minute. Dont remember using it on bumble bees. The bad thing is your spraying motor oil all over the place and it doesnt look too great on whatever it lands on behind the nest. If you dont get the wasp with the oil, they will NOT return to the nest with the used motor oil on it so you could just spray the nest hoping they will relocate somewhere far away. I have seen them build a nest about a foot away from it later on. If you wait until night they will all be on the nest. I dont know why the used motor oil kills them but I have wondered.

I use used motor oil on bees from a spray bottle on stream. It will kill yellow jackets the moment it hits them. Waspers it usually takes about a minute. Dont remember using it on bumble bees. The bad thing is your spraying motor oil all over the place and it doesnt look too great on whatever it lands on behind the nest. If you dont get the wasp with the oil, they will NOT return to the nest with the used motor oil on it so you could just spray the nest hoping they will relocate somewhere far away. I have seen them build a nest about a foot away from it later on. If you wait until night they will all be on the nest. I dont know why the used motor oil kills them but I have wondered.
Grandpa?!

Just kidding, but I thought most people had learned how nasty use motor oil was. It kills lots of things and persists in the environment for a long time. My grandpa used it for all sorts of things, but my parents were very careful not spill any.
Motor oil picks up a variety of hazardous contaminants when used in engines and transmissions. These contaminants include lead, cadmium, chromium, arsenic, dioxins, benzene and polycyclic aromatics.

EDIT:

Wasps are beneficial insects. They eat bugs I really don't like. If they aren't causing a problem, I leave them be. If a new female starts building a nest in a problem place, my favorite trick is to knock the nest down and rub the spot with a cut jalapeño. She'll go start over someplace better. For full grown nests, soapy water kills most of them and adding a scent they don't like keeps them from rebuilding. Mint, garlic, onion, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.