Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: do i need a salt water tester?

1. Back To Top    #1

do i need a salt water tester?

i have (and am using for the first time) the intex sand filter/saltwater pump combo. it has a low and hi salt warning built in. just wondered if i need to invest in a salt water tester to see how many ppm it has. so far none of the warnings have gone off. though i just started using it yesterday. ive put in 120lbs of salt so far.

if i do need it...is it something that can wait a week or 2? im kinda cash strapped at the moment with all of the other summer yard projects going on too.

this is the kit i was looking at http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOL...ater+pool+test

maybe there is something better or cheaper. i assume the test strips are junk, just like the ones that test chemicals.
    intex 15'x48"
    intex 2650 gph sand filter/salt water pump.
    pool is brand new installed 7/1/2013 (started yr 2 on 6/2/2014)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: do i need a salt water tester?

The strips seem to be hit and miss ... they can expire and go bad. I like the kit you posted. Although my kit seems to always read 600ppm higher than my SWG ... who knows which one is "right". The only thing that matters is that the SWG is happy.

The kit is consistent though, so I can get a sense for if the salt level is dropping, etc. If the number for the test does not change, but the SWG starts to have issues, I can be pretty sure that it is in fact the SWG that needs attention and not the salt level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the info. so do you think its urgent i get one right away? or can i wait a week or 2?
    intex 15'x48"
    intex 2650 gph sand filter/salt water pump.
    pool is brand new installed 7/1/2013 (started yr 2 on 6/2/2014)

4. Back To Top    #4

It can wait if the SWG is new and working properly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The strips seem to be hit and miss ... they can expire and go bad. I like the kit you posted. Although my kit seems to always read 600ppm higher than my SWG ... who knows which one is "right". The only thing that matters is that the SWG is happy.

The kit is consistent though, so I can get a sense for if the salt level is dropping, etc. If the number for the test does not change, but the SWG starts to have issues, I can be pretty sure that it is in fact the SWG that needs attention and not the salt level.
    I agree with this statement as I've found my control panel just a little off from the test kit, although usually only by 200 ppm.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997