SWG/Low FC

May 16, 2014
Sunny California
I have an approx 8,000 gal above ground pool with a cheapie Intex SWG. My current levels are
FC 0.8
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 80
CYA 85.

Yesterday morning, my FC read 1.4. I added bleach according to the POOLMATH to get to 4 bc we were having a small pool party. I also run the SWG every day for 6 hours. The reading is fine, it is not detecting a high or low salt reading, but I don’t understand how the FC can go from close to 4, then having a 6 hour SWG session and still only reading 0.8. Am I missing something? Could my salt be too high? I do not have a salt test to run.

Also, I just read on the SWG balancing page that I need to get my PH to 7.6 so I will get on that ASAP. I didn’t realize 7.8 was too high. Could this be affecting the FC?

Oh, on the SWG’s Manual, the ideal balance would be FC (0.5-3), and TA (100-140) and CYA (20-40). That doesn’t match up with this site (which I have been doing and my water looks great just isn’t keeping up with the FC). It says that a high TA will result in poor chlorine efficiency. I am just so confused!

It seems like I have to add bleach every day anyway, it makes me wonder why I bought the SWG? It is brand new by the way. :eek:

Your FC is too low for your CYA level and as such there is likely simmering growing in the water consuming the FC faster than the SWG can make it. You need to follow the SLAM process to ensure the pool is clean and then the SWG should be able to keep up.

Forget about the TA and just keep the pH in the 7s. Although you want to start lower before starting the SLAM.

Your FC is too low for your CYA level and as such there is likely simmering growing in the water consuming the FC faster than the SWG can make it. You need to follow the SLAM process to ensure the pool is clean and then the SWG should be able to keep up.

Forget about the TA and just keep the pH in the 7s. Although you want to start lower before starting the SLAM.

Ok, so even though the CC is zero I should still SLAM? It is just to get my FC level very high, correct? And because this process takes a few days, is the pool unsafe to swim In while SLAMing it? We are expecting 106 degrees this week and the pool is going to be in high demand! =) Would it not be enough just to lower my PH and add bleach and run my SWG for longer maybe? I'm sorry I'm not trying to doubting you, I find this website to be Amazing but I just want to understand it all. Thanks so much!

You are losing chlorine because you have a low level algae problem. There is enough algae to use up your chlorine, but not enough to be visibly obvious. You need to SLAM the pool to get rid of the algae.

Since it is just a low level algae problem, it will go fairly quickly, maybe a day, probably two or three days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.