Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG/Low FC

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG/Low FC

I have an approx 8,000 gal above ground pool with a cheapie Intex SWG. My current levels are
    FC 0.8
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 80
    CYA 85.

Yesterday morning, my FC read 1.4. I added bleach according to the POOLMATH to get to 4 bc we were having a small pool party. I also run the SWG every day for 6 hours. The reading is fine, it is not detecting a high or low salt reading, but I donít understand how the FC can go from close to 4, then having a 6 hour SWG session and still only reading 0.8. Am I missing something? Could my salt be too high? I do not have a salt test to run.

Also, I just read on the SWG balancing page that I need to get my PH to 7.6 so I will get on that ASAP. I didnít realize 7.8 was too high. Could this be affecting the FC?

Oh, on the SWGís Manual, the ideal balance would be FC (0.5-3), and TA (100-140) and CYA (20-40). That doesnít match up with this site (which I have been doing and my water looks great just isnít keeping up with the FC). It says that a high TA will result in poor chlorine efficiency. I am just so confused!

It seems like I have to add bleach every day anyway, it makes me wonder why I bought the SWG? It is brand new by the way.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG/Low FC

Your FC is too low for your CYA level and as such there is likely simmering growing in the water consuming the FC faster than the SWG can make it. You need to follow the SLAM process to ensure the pool is clean and then the SWG should be able to keep up.

Forget about the TA and just keep the pH in the 7s. Although you want to start lower before starting the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Your FC is too low for your CYA level and as such there is likely simmering growing in the water consuming the FC faster than the SWG can make it. You need to follow the SLAM process to ensure the pool is clean and then the SWG should be able to keep up.

Forget about the TA and just keep the pH in the 7s. Although you want to start lower before starting the SLAM.
    Ok, so even though the CC is zero I should still SLAM? It is just to get my FC level very high, correct? And because this process takes a few days, is the pool unsafe to swim In while SLAMing it? We are expecting 106 degrees this week and the pool is going to be in high demand! =) Would it not be enough just to lower my PH and add bleach and run my SWG for longer maybe? I'm sorry I'm not trying to doubting you, I find this website to be Amazing but I just want to understand it all. Thanks so much!

4. Back To Top    #4

You are losing chlorine because you have a low level algae problem. There is enough algae to use up your chlorine, but not enough to be visibly obvious. You need to SLAM the pool to get rid of the algae.

Since it is just a low level algae problem, it will go fairly quickly, maybe a day, probably two or three days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School