New Pro Series installed

eng208

Apr 29, 2014
Plains Ga
Well, decided I couldn't go with one of the real nice AGP, so the family bought a Pro Series 16x48" from Walmart over the weekend. I installed it on the same site as the old Intex was a couple of years ago. I had the Intex SWG setup on that pool but it only lasted about 3 years before the frame rusted through and it became very unstable. We didn't have a pool last year and my daughter almost couldn't stand it so my wife went and bought the easy set Intex. I set up the SWG and filter for it and it sufficed until this year. It was actually about the easiest pool I have had.:D Just wasn't quite big enough.

I have decided not to use the SWG on this one due to the rust issues with the other pool. This one seems to be much higher quality, but still don't want to chance the premature failure due to the salt. I did install 1/2 foam sheeting on the ground after leveling it. The foam is supporting 1.76 PSI under the pool if my math is correct at 48". The sheeting cost was outrageous. I probably could have bought the foamboard and coping sold as a pool kit for what the 8 boards cost. There wasn't money in the budget for 18 pavers so I installed the legs with broad feet on the board. At least everything is level that way. I could not see how in the world I was going to get the pavers level with the foam board anyway. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a mistake. It seems to support it just fine though and I can actually lift the legs just a bit even when full, so I don't think there is very much pressure exerted on the oversized feet. I set it up after work Sunday morning after I got off at 1am. By 7am I had everything set up and assembled with a foot of water in it. Very little wrinkles are left in the liner after complete fill. My water has very high iron content, so before entering any chemicals, I let the filter run for 24 hours, cleaning the filter three times to remove frank iron deposits.

Today, I put a chlorine tab in the filter skimmer and loaded the pool with chlorine. I think I overshot it just a bit according to the test kit. It matches up somewhere between 2-3PPm on the color scale. I figure it will settle in ok. The PH was initially high with raw water, but has since settled into ideal with the introduction of chlorine. Is that normal?

My intentions are to follow the guidelines on here for maintaining, but time is critical, so the learning curve is very steep right now. Last time I took care of a chemical pool I was 12. That was 3 decades ago. The SWG spoiled me, I never had to do anything except clean the SWG plates twice a season and add salt once after heavy rains left it overfull and needed to be drained a bit.

I appreciate advice and experience from others. I will probably go to a sand filter at some time, but this pump really pumps a lot of water and the skimmer feature works much better than the Intex set up I had. I can actually watch the surface water being drawn to the skimmer area on this one. I will post pictures of it maybe tomorrow.
Thanks in advance.

I am testing it with the 3 way kit from Walmart. I know I will need a better test kit and will get one in a few days. My main priority was to get chlorine in the water before the liner had algae growth on it. I did not add stabilizer. I am reading pool school now.
Edited. I just learned the tablets I bought have the stabilizer. They show two tabs for 10,000 gallons. I added almost one tab. My pool is just under 5000 gallons. I figured that was a decent starting point. My error so far I have found, I should of just bought a three pack instead of the 8-10 pack I bought. I plan on going to liquid household bleach so my CYA doesn't build up. Is that correct? I can then manage the stabilizer as needed.

PH doesn't usually go down with chlorine addition unless it was dichlor or trichlor which can lower it slightly.

You're probably ok but I'd get some stabilizer in there by tomorrow. Walmart sells it fairly cheaply.

My daughter is enjoying this pool for the last few days. The skimmer and vacuum seem to work great on this particular set up. My biggest problem so far is in changing the cartridge filter. I can't seem to get the filter out of the skimmer without all of the collected trash going right back into the pool water. I am thinking about making a seal to go over the skimmer door to keep the water from coming in while I pull the filter. Then I can drain the sediment and debris in the skimmer container without sending it back in the pool. What are some others doing to control this?

Same pool... same problem. My advice... hold the skimmer flap when taking out the skimmer basket... as for the dirty water that kind of floats in the skimmer... my solution was to take the hose of the bottom and let it rush out.

This is yet another reason why I upgraded to the 2650 Intex Sand Filter... got some parts today to make it match up, so hopefully it works out.

I will be glad to take some tomorrow. Overall, it is much nicer than the Intex set up we had a few years back. This would be comparable to the Intex Ultra series though, and the one I had was the blue with white round rails. I am pleased with this pool.

I checked my levels this evening. From straight well water, I had added one puck of trichlor on Tuesday to get the chlorine and stabilizer where I thought it should be. Today, the chlorine was not measurable and stabilizer was at or close to 0 on the test strips I had. These strips are calling for 30-50 for the stabilizer. Ph is 7.6. Total alkalinity is 80-120. I added about a pint of household bleach and 1/2 a puck of trichlor. The FC readily came up to 3.0 on the chart. I don't want to overshoot the stabilizer, but really have no measuring stick as to how much to add to increase to where I want it. I have some sediment in the bottom that returns after vacuuming. I initially thought it may be free iron as our water is loaded with it and I have cleaned the cartridge filter four times now of the orange nuisance. Now, I am not so sure it isn't some form of dead algae. I really can't see how it would be since the water was only in the pool about 36 hours before chlorine was added, but I haven't taken care of a chlorine pool in almost 30 years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should really consider at the very least, a TF50 test kit. It will take the guessing right out of the test strips and give you concrete test results the first time. :goodjob:

I just looked at the TF 100 and TF 50 kits. Seems the 100 is the better value when you factor in the added test solutions. Not exactly sure what you are referring to as "guessing". Are the strips not accurate? Thanks for the link to the pool math in your signature. I had somehow skipped right over that in my reading, but apparently hit the numbers pretty good anyway for starting out. I just have to figure out the chlorine use rate now. It dropped pretty fast over the last day.

The strips are not accurate and basically a guessing game. Is my pH 7.5 or is it 7.8? Is my CYA 30 or is it 50? Maybe it's 40! Er maybe it's really 15... :shock:

Go with the TF100. It will last you 2 years for the most part if kept in a dry dark place. I keep mine under the sink on a shelf.

I highly advise you look at getting the Sand Filter when you can. I've had mine up about two weeks, and with the stock filter running 6 hours a day it could just not keep up and my water was starting to cloud. Now, I do live in a rural area so lots of opportunity for organic matter to find it's way to the pool.. so YMMV. But from my research the stock pump is less than adequate and will eventually fail. You don't want to be stuck with a green pool while waiting on a new pump.

- - - Updated - - -

and btw 1.76lbs per sq inch doesn't sound like alot, but figure it per square foot and it's 250LBS a square foot... basically 51,000 lbs of water total. if I had to guess the weight on the legs is about 1000lbs on each one

and btw 1.76lbs per sq inch doesn't sound like alot, but figure it per square foot and it's 250LBS a square foot... basically 51,000 lbs of water total. if I had to guess the weight on the legs is about 1000lbs on each one

I went through this the other day when dealing with an 18' x 48" pool. This is what I came up with...and no I am not an engineer.

Assuming a pool volume of 6,420 gallons (Manual Stated)

Water weight = 53,543
Pool weight = 175
Total weight = 53,718

Area of 18' circle = 36,644 sq. in.

So...the average downward force is 53,718/36,644 = 1.47 psi

The feet on the legs are approximately 4.25x3 which is 12.75 sq. in.

So each foot will have approximately 19 pounds of downward force. Now that is in a perfect world with a pool with sharp corners. It reality the bottom of the pool curves inward away from the legs and that weight gets transferred to the top rail and in turn the legs. That curve is roughly 4-5 inches. So the weight of water in that 4-5 inch outer ring is about 2,465 pounds. That weight is distributed evenly over the 18 legs/feet and not on the bottom of the pool in the middle. So taking that into account each foot should exert a downward force of somewhere around 156 pounds...or roughly 12.5 psi.

I have this same size pool and I am not incredible hulk strong and can move the legs on my pavers. It does take a good deal of force to do that...but if the downward force was 1,000 or even 500 pounds...that would make that task impossible.

Just my .02

I will be glad to take some tomorrow. Overall, it is much nicer than the Intex set up we had a few years back. This would be comparable to the Intex Ultra series though, and the one I had was the blue with white round rails. I am pleased with this pool.

that would be great! :) Looking at removing sod and leveling soon ...just trying to research!

I went through this the other day when dealing with an 18' x 48" pool. This is what I came up with...and no I am not an engineer.

Assuming a pool volume of 6,420 gallons (Manual Stated)

Water weight = 53,543
Pool weight = 175
Total weight = 53,718

Area of 18' circle = 36,644 sq. in.

So...the average downward force is 53,718/36,644 = 1.47 psi

The feet on the legs are approximately 4.25x3 which is 12.75 sq. in.

So each foot will have approximately 19 pounds of downward force. Now that is in a perfect world with a pool with sharp corners. It reality the bottom of the pool curves inward away from the legs and that weight gets transferred to the top rail and in turn the legs. That curve is roughly 4-5 inches. So the weight of water in that 4-5 inch outer ring is about 2,465 pounds. That weight is distributed evenly over the 18 legs/feet and not on the bottom of the pool in the middle. So taking that into account each foot should exert a downward force of somewhere around 156 pounds...or roughly 12.5 psi.

I am have this same size pool and I am not incredible hulk strong and can move the legs on my pavers. It does take a good deal of force to do that...but if the downward force was 1,000 or even 500 pounds...that would make that task impossible.

Just my .02

Yeah that's probably better than my guess. I can move mine as well. I tried lifting one and I am able to loosen it slightly, which tells me it's probably in that range but with the surrounding force it feels like it might be 1000lbs LOL

My guess was based on a square foot (x4) of water weight at each leg, but I didn't take into account the outward forces and the curve. :)

Pretty amazing these things work as they do. I'm sure someone worked out the math at some point. How many mil are the liners on these? It's pretty amazing that the round ones now go up to what 22 or 24 feet?

Yeah that's probably better than my guess. I can move mine as well. I tried lifting one and I am able to loosen it slightly, which tells me it's probably in that range but with the surrounding force it feels like it might be 1000lbs LOL

My guess was based on a square foot (x4) of water weight at each leg, but I didn't take into account the outward forces and the curve. :)

Pretty amazing these things work as they do. I'm sure someone worked out the math at some point. How many mil are the liners on these? It's pretty amazing that the round ones now go up to what 22 or 24 feet?

It really is. They are stronger than you think they are. I installed a Hayward thru wall skimmer on mine and did so without dropping the pool level. Half of my screws were below the waterline. I poked holes through the liner for the screws with a sharp awl. I was really surprised at how much force it took to puncture the side of the pool with a sharp object. Once I removed the awl the hole darn near closed itself back up. There was just a tiny hole, smaller than a tooth pick, with a small amount of water trickling out where I punched the much larger size hole.

I am sure lots of math went into the design and engineering of these.

WOW! That's good to know... I was debating mulching around mine and wondering if some of the sharper ones would cause trouble... after that I'm not sure, but still not sure if I want to risk it. Here in FL there are tree trimmers that give away mulch for free so it would be really easy to go pick some up. But I'm hestitant and thinking about pebbles like you have or a deck instead on one side and pebbles on the other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.