Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Old Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing Old Bleach

Is there a trick to testing a few old jugs of bleach that were sitting on the shelf for a few years? I have a few jugs with low odor and I think they have significantly degraded. Not really concerned but just curious.....

If not I'll dump 'em in and deal with it.

Southern Ohio, 18'x36', 8'x3' deep, Vinyl, Hayward 1hp Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward AquaRite 25k SWG, 5-3'x8' Solar Panels, Hayward AquaSolar, Aqua Pro 137k Heat Pump

Taylor K-2006, Taylor K-1766, Taylor SpeedStir, hth 6-Way with OTO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing Old Bleach

Not easily. Dump them in and measure in 30-60 minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I assumed that was the case.

Southern Ohio, 18'x36', 8'x3' deep, Vinyl, Hayward 1hp Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward AquaRite 25k SWG, 5-3'x8' Solar Panels, Hayward AquaSolar, Aqua Pro 137k Heat Pump

Taylor K-2006, Taylor K-1766, Taylor SpeedStir, hth 6-Way with OTO

4. Back To Top    #4

Wait wait, there is a way, let me look in my Pool Book (notebook of things from the forum)

Testing Bleach:
    Use 2 syringes or pipettes, Clean bucket, distilled water. (requires 2 syringes or pipettes to not contaminate the testing)
    10 ml bleach in 1 liter water, take 10 ml of that mix (into second clean pipette or syringe) and add to another liter of water.
    Mix and test. Each drop (of testing reagent) = 0.2% bleach (strength)

My pool book has all sorts of handy hints like that, along with instructions that I copied from the forum about things that were new to me (everything!) and details of pool equipment, local stores for chems phone numbers and recent pricing.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like a lot of work for little gain.would that change your decision to use it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

A few...........YEARS????? I wouldn't bother.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!