Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for a new filter for this pool, and a potential pool upgrade upcoming.

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for a new filter for this pool, and a potential pool upgrade upcoming.

My current filter housing has cracked on the bottom. Now I have a constant dibble of water, and I lose at least an inch of pool water when I run my pump for any extended period. Time to upgrade. Rather than by another used filter set up (buying used seems to be causing me headaches) I am looking to purchase new.

Looking to keep it low cost if possible. Currently have a 5K gallon soft sided pool, but may be upgrading slightly this year. The new pool would still be less than 6K gallons.

Open to a cartridge filter, although I understand that sand filters are really nice?

Any suggestions for me?
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for a new filter for this pool, and a potential pool upgrade upcoming.

I was always a proponent of cartridge filters - but having used all types now, I like Sand for the ease of use and maintenance aspect. With such a small pool, you should be able to find a new system for around $300.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Looking for a new filter for this pool, and a potential pool upgrade upcoming.

Any suggestions for sand filters? Are the intex ones any good?
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I love my Intex sand filter. Took my water from clear, to sparkly! I happened to get mine for $99. Two years ago from Walmart,com.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Will a sand filter be ok with my (admittedly over sized) 1.5hp pump? Or will that be to much water pressure on the filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Its a bit big for that size pump. Maybe go with a slightly larger filter. Look on Craigs List or Ebay for new. You could get lucky since it's just the filter and not a pump too.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com