New build in DFW

May 10, 2014
Lewisville, TX
Getting a IG gunite play pool installed for the wife and kids. Decided against the spa; hope I do not regret the decision. Went with a salt system with a hayward cartridge filter. Oklahoma flagstone coping with a moss rock weeping wall / waterfall.

image by Jason Nash, on Flickr

Our yard slopes down to a retaining wall. I didn't want additional dirt build up behind the pool creating additional slope. I opted to have two steps around the perimeter of the decking where needed (mostly the back and left side). I will buy additional moss rock (smaller) or flagstone to place along the back pool wall. I am doing salt finish decking with staining. Any thoughts on this choice? Stamped would have been quite a bit more and aggregate can be hard on the feet.

looks great so far, keep pics coming! in my wife and I's first pool we went w/o a spa also....never regretted the decision. never could understand why someone would want to get into a hot spa in South Lousiana or TX for that matter....it would just kill me, but to each his own.

looking forward to updates

looks great so far, keep pics coming! in my wife and I's first pool we went w/o a spa also....never regretted the decision. never could understand why someone would want to get into a hot spa in South Lousiana or TX for that matter....it would just kill me, but to each his own.

looking forward to updates

Total opposite here. I would not even consider a pool without a spa. I live in SE Texas and it allows us to enjoy our backyard pool almost year around. When the water is too cold for me my kids will still swim and then jump in the hot tub with me. That is just my 2 cents.

One thing you may not have realized (on the plus side) is the massive amount of extra seating you have added by incorporating those steps. We have two 20+ foot long steps on our Trex house deck and a big set of steps entering the pool area. The amount of use they get for informal seating is something it's hard to appreciate until you see it in action.

Really nice setting. Looking forward to seeing the weeping wall cry.:cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plaster goes in tomorrow. My kids cannot contain their excitement. How long does one have to wait after the water goes in before swimming? I realize plaster dust has to be filtered and the plaster has to cure. We are doing salt I'd that makes any difference.

We didn't really want a spa either but Mr. PB convinced us it would extend the swim season, resale etc., since most people want it. We turned it on early in the spring just to make sure it worked but had not used it until last week when I wasn't feeling good and thought maybe the jets would help my back. Well, holy cow! I'm hooked! That being said, If we hadn't put it in, I don't think I would have missed it and I'm not sure about getting in and out when it's cold outside but right now I'm enjoying relaxing with an adult beverage and a good back massage.
The photos look like the stain compliments the house - is it too dark for you? I agree with the others, the steps add a nice accent to the layout.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.