Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New build in DFW

1. Back To Top    #1

New build in DFW

Getting a IG gunite play pool installed for the wife and kids. Decided against the spa; hope I do not regret the decision. Went with a salt system with a hayward cartridge filter. Oklahoma flagstone coping with a moss rock weeping wall / waterfall.

image by Jason Nash, on Flickr

Our yard slopes down to a retaining wall. I didn't want additional dirt build up behind the pool creating additional slope. I opted to have two steps around the perimeter of the decking where needed (mostly the back and left side). I will buy additional moss rock (smaller) or flagstone to place along the back pool wall. I am doing salt finish decking with staining. Any thoughts on this choice? Stamped would have been quite a bit more and aggregate can be hard on the feet.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New build in DFW

looks great so far, keep pics coming! in my wife and I's first pool we went w/o a spa also....never regretted the decision. never could understand why someone would want to get into a hot spa in South Lousiana or TX for that matter....it would just kill me, but to each his own.

looking forward to updates
    18x36 vinyl / sport pool 5.5' deep / 1.5hp Tri-Star 2spd / Hayward c3030 325 sqft cartridge / ~15k gal / TF100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jjwalker View Post
    looks great so far, keep pics coming! in my wife and I's first pool we went w/o a spa also....never regretted the decision. never could understand why someone would want to get into a hot spa in South Lousiana or TX for that matter....it would just kill me, but to each his own.

looking forward to updates
    Total opposite here. I would not even consider a pool without a spa. I live in SE Texas and it allows us to enjoy our backyard pool almost year around. When the water is too cold for me my kids will still swim and then jump in the hot tub with me. That is just my 2 cents.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

4. Back To Top    #4

Concrete poured. Went with a salt finish, two colors. Colors won't show until it dries and excess powder is sprayed off. I didn't want my yard with a steeper grade so I opted for steps.

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks very nice!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

One thing you may not have realized (on the plus side) is the massive amount of extra seating you have added by incorporating those steps. We have two 20+ foot long steps on our Trex house deck and a big set of steps entering the pool area. The amount of use they get for informal seating is something it's hard to appreciate until you see it in action.

Really nice setting. Looking forward to seeing the weeping wall cry.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Good point. I didn't even think about them adding to seating options.

8. Back To Top    #8

Love your pool!

Please post more pics of your deck when its finished!

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks good!
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

10. Back To Top    #10

Loves the steps!

Vette, DH, & 2 DDs Our IG AGP Build
    In-ground Radiant 24', 1.5 Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Plaster goes in tomorrow. My kids cannot contain their excitement. How long does one have to wait after the water goes in before swimming? I realize plaster dust has to be filtered and the plaster has to cure. We are doing salt I'd that makes any difference.

12. Back To Top    #12

Latest pic before plaster. Not too thrilled on the deck color. Wife picked against my wishes. We both are okay with it, but not in love either. Thoughts?

13. Back To Top    #13

We waited about 5 minutes to swim. We also did no spa and then bought one later from Coleman on 75 for about $5k. Love it and the pool.

14. Back To Top    #14

We didn't really want a spa either but Mr. PB convinced us it would extend the swim season, resale etc., since most people want it. We turned it on early in the spring just to make sure it worked but had not used it until last week when I wasn't feeling good and thought maybe the jets would help my back. Well, holy cow! I'm hooked! That being said, If we hadn't put it in, I don't think I would have missed it and I'm not sure about getting in and out when it's cold outside but right now I'm enjoying relaxing with an adult beverage and a good back massage.
    The photos look like the stain compliments the house - is it too dark for you? I agree with the others, the steps add a nice accent to the layout.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

15. Back To Top    #15

Water going in. Kids excited. Deck isn't nearly as red as the pics show.

16. Back To Top    #16

I think the deck looks really good!

Is the salt deck supposed to work well with a salt pool?

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks good!

18. Back To Top    #18

No, the salt deck is where they throw salt rock on the cement surface to give that pitted look - similar to the puts in travertine. It is just normal colored cement.

19. Back To Top    #19

I love the deck color!
    George
    30K gal (estimated ), IG, Pebble Sheen, Jandy Aqualink RS, 2.5 HP Jandy SHPM2.5 pump, 580 sqft Jandy CV580 cartridge filter, 399K BTUJandy LXI400N heater, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner - under construction

20. Back To Top    #20

All done. However, the back wall is damp. Concerned about water seeping out. Otherwise, mission accomplished. Happy kids!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast