need help at end of slam.... readings help?!

Jul 15, 2013
Nashville TN
This is my 2nd pool slam not working nearly as well as last time. The pool is cloudy and is a blue green color sort of like sea foam green but more blue tinted and I can only see first step. Cya 35 chlorine 25ppm CC under .5. I can barely see a color change for cc. ta 130. PH? My gut tells me its low but have read testing not reliable. My pool has been at 25ppm chlorine and under .5 cc for 4 or 5 days and is showing no improvement in water clarity. My wife brushed entire pool 2x today. There were 2 white bleached Maple leaves in pump basket...we've vacuumed brushed backwashed filtered since may 12 I was balanced or so I thought when began slam water color was terrible for test.. I used bleach and trichlor until cya was 30 to 40 and now use bleach only. 8.25% unscented. I have no overnight chlorine loss and barely if any during the day maybe 1 to 3ppm loss daily if that for the past 4 days. 2 days ago i added 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid and the color shifted to more blue than green/white . also usex 6lbs of baking soda and a box of mule team weeks ago to get ta up to 80ish....it has climbed to 130 since. Probly trichlor 15k in ground sand filter 1hp superpump

Also today at the water line there was grey/white gue that was basically like mud on the liner at the water line. It was mushy and thick. No idea what that is. There was foam for a few days early on which was netted and there has been a little foam here and there since. I will try to post a picture

Sounds like the gushy foam stuff could be a combo of a breakdown of organics.
So, could the sand filter be channeled? I would suggest you try a little DE in the sand filter. Have your wife hold a nylon up to the return when you add the DE, if it blows through that's one clue. If not, perhaps you could be backwashing too often? How often are you backwashing, and what tells you that you need to? (A Dirty filter filters better, DE "dirties" the sand and allows it to catch finer particles.) Instructions are in pool school.

Filter is very old no idea 20yrs....sand replaced with quality sand last year before going through this slam business. I was back washing frequently at the beginning and now I have only backwashed after vacuuming which has been daily. I have not backwashed for 24 hrs because no vacuum today. I have a pressure gauge but I have not monitored it. Ive never had to. I've been eyeballing the returns. I can look and tell when there is less flow because they aim up slightly. After talking to my wife about the brushing and if she hit above and below the water line she said yes. And that there was some minor cloud of stuff that moved on the stair when she brushed. This has not been the norm. I have not seen anything cloud and I just confirmed what she said. Its there now but it wasn't previously same as the white grey gue. I think between brushing and vacuum we had lots of particles suspended that didn't settle. I didnt mention earlier that i added 1/2 gallon of muriatic acid yesterday and all of a sudden today the tint is more blue and there is a orange colored substance on the bottom. Keep in mind I can only see top stair...this is my bottom. I read somewhere that high pH suspends particulates and could keep chlorine less effective. Because its hard to get a good reading...wasn't sure thought what the **** I gotta try something. Poor filtration crossed my mind too and it did last time I slammed but I was patient and then one day it was like a switch and it cleared and each day got deeper with clarity over 8 day period was seeing drain. I did have 1 30 hr period after breaking ball valve to main which broke closed with only skimmer to filter but that was 4 days ago.
I knows its a lot of random info. I am trying to include any and everything. Thanks so much for your replies

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What does that mean? Do you think it was just decomp? I think it was just mud with tons of bleach making it looked white/grey. It has not left anything else on there during the process. I wondered if it could of been the calcium in the form of mud because my CH is now 100 or slightly below where it was 300ish last year

What does that mean? Do you think it was just decomp? I think it was just mud with tons of bleach making it looked white/grey. It has not left anything else on there during the process. I wondered if it could of been the calcium in the form of mud because my CH is now 100 or slightly below where it was 300ish last year

I think that high pH and high TA (unbalanced water) can indeed cause the calcium to precipitate out. I had a day earlier this week when the water looked a little cloudy which always means the pH is too high in my pool and the next thing I know the filter pressure is climbing and I had to backwash after two days instead of the usual week. I only test CH weekly so it will be interesting to see what that is now. Edit: measured CH this morning and it's dropped from 220 to 165.

So yes, I think it is possible for calcium to cause cloudiness.

You need to know what your pH is doing, but it sounds like you have problems with the test. What is the problem? Edit: okay so I just remembered that pH is not reliable at high chlorine levels. Perhaps it's time to let chlorine fall back a bit and get a true reading. pH could be high rather than low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.