Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing chlorine (I use bleach)

1. Back To Top    #1

Trenton, NJ

Testing chlorine (I use bleach)

I have the Tf-100 kit stressed here and I read that you should add bleach just about every day. I see people saying they are testing daily. Are you just doing the 'daily' chlorine test every day and using that as free chlorine in your pool math calculator or are you also testing free chlorine in the additional test every day? Thanks
    15'x26' above ground pool installed on 5/10/14, 1 hp -Hayward pro series sand filter (Model # S166T92STL), Hayward Vari-Flow valve (Model # SP0714T1), Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump (Model # SP1592TLFP). TF100 test kit. Diver Dave automatic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Testing chlorine (I use bleach)

Generally it works best to test and then preferably add chlorine as calculated in the evening. Most people take the daily approach of test, the add the calculated dosage of bleach, and assume it worked right, then repeat the next day. After a while when you get a feel for you pool you may turn that into testing every other day and probably dosing with a guestimated amount of chlorine on the opposing days.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I use the color matching test most days.

That alone is a good argument for keeping CYA mabageable -- then the FC level is low enough to use the colormatching. My first couple years I was dealing with 220+ CYA and mandatory water restrictions and I could only dream of not having to use the FAS-DPD tester every single time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

With my minimum FC level at 4, I cannot tell much with the color matching except that the pool has SOME chlorine. So I use the drop based test, on alternate days. Sometimes I cheat and just dump a jug on the alternate day since that is the normal 2nd day dose. When we are swimming I test accurately each time. Right now the pool is STILL to cold for me.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.