Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine loss due to sunlight

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine loss due to sunlight

I'm sure there is a post related to this somewhere. How much chlorine loss should I expect on 11 hours full sunlight. Numbers are FC 2.5, CC 0, TC 2.5. PH 7.7, TA 90 and CYA 25-30. These were measured late this evening after topping off Chlorine 24 hours earlier and having the full sun today.
    22K Gal double roman IG, vinyl, 300lb Crystal-Flo sand filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump, WF on pool side with 1.5 hp Challenger pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Chlorine loss due to sunlight

It varies a great deal with the air clarity, the water temperature, and your CYA level. Roughly speaking perhaps 2/3rds of your starting FC level per day with CYA around 25-30.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Clinton, Mississippi

Re: Chlorine loss due to sunlight

I am pretty new so someone correct me if I am wrong but I think you should keep a higher CYA if you are in so much full sunlight. It will require a higher FC but should require less to maintain the higher FC.
    ____________________________________________________________ ___________
    15,000 gallon in ground pool with liner, Purex Triton Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Superflo 1HP.... Clinton, MS.