Fresh Pool Startup

May 19, 2014
Hillsboro, MO
I had the local pool store test the water and was told I needed shock and MA and lots of MA. I had a test kit on order they said start with 2 gallons of MA in 64oz increments.

5:00PM
64oz MA
128oz Bleach
22oz Polyquart

5:40PM
64oz MA
128oz Bleach

6:30PM
64oz MA
128oz Bleach

Then my test kit showed up and here is what I got

FC 3.2ppm
CC 0.4ppm
PH 7.0
TA 250
CH 200
CYA 0? <--- assuming 0 as the black dot never disappeared

So obviously I need a bit more bleach, should I take it up to Shock Levels since this is a new fill on the pool? Should I add a stabilizer to raise my CYA?

I plan on adding some bleach tonight and retesting tomorrow.

Yes, stabilizer and bleach. How does the water look? I see no reason to go to shock levels unless your FC isn't holding overnight. No reason for Polyquat. High TA isn't an issue, it only causes PH to drift up, when there are sources of aeration. So when it hits 7.8, you use acid to lower it to 7.2. Eventually the TA level will fall into a better range, since acid lowers the TA as well. Any drift you see on the PH will slow over time. They think that you need to lower the TA immediately which is why they told you so much MA. Its not that big a deal... Getting your CYA to 30-50 and the FC in range much more important. Are you going to use liquid for daily chlorination? If so I'd target 50 on the CYA.

The pool is clear at this point, pump is up and running 24/7 until i set my timer tomorrow. The plan is to use liquid daily yes. Thanks for the advice on this, when we bought this house the pool was horribly neglected and I fought it for 2 years. Im hoping a fresh start with a new liner and new attitude will help now that ive found TFP...

Welcome! :wave:

You're in good shape -- you have fresh water. It should be easy to whip that thing into shape!

Add some CYA according to these directions. Keep the pH in line with acid and maintain adequate FC for the CYA level and really, that's about it.

Poolmath can help you calculate the doses. Aim low on CYA. It's easy to add more if you end up short, but lowering it means draining some of your balanced water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.