Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: would solar cover that is 1 foot too short on 2 sides be ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

would solar cover that is 1 foot too short on 2 sides be ok?

I found a great deal on a solar cover with reel but it is 16ft I need 18ft for only 80$ would it still be fine???
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: would solar cover that is 1 foot too short on 2 sides be ok?

Probably just fine, and at least alright. A smaller cover doesn't hold in quite as much heat, but you still cover nearly all of the pool. The one disadvantage is that it will be just slightly more prone to blowing around, but it is unlikely you will notice that difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The cover will get blown around? Ie fold on itself?
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

4. Back To Top    #4

Possibly, but unlikely. In very high wind areas, having the cover come very close to the pool walls can help prevent the cover from getting blown off, but this is not a common problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

my reel comes into 2 pieces its 20 feet wide. any ideas how to reinforce it in the middle so it doesn't sag?
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

6. Back To Top    #6

If the original question still remains, I offer this: The cover you are considering is going to be a bit larger than the specs. Every cover that I have bought has been larger than the designated size and I have had it over hang the top of the pool. I found the only time I experienced the cover blowing around was when it had to hang over the of the pool. When it lays flat on the pool surface, it stays in place very well.

Search the forum, there are discussions about what people have done to stop a reel from sagging.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

ok thx
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

8. Back To Top    #8

I searched couldn't find anything on how people Re supported it?
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

9. Back To Top    #9

Search "sagging solar reel"
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).