Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE, sand or cartridge?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE, sand or cartridge?

I have been studying Hydraulics 101. I noticed that a catridge filter is good for a SWCG. But sand filter is good for winterazation. But a DE is good for really clear water. So, I was interested in a DE filter but I would like to go saltwater. It will also have to be put away for winter. Am I just getting to technical in my head and over thinking? The DE with saltwater will work fine right? Thanks!
    Intex Ultra-Frame 26x52 AGP (14,650 gal.)
    Intex Pump & Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE, sand or cartridge?

Yes DE will work fine with a SWG. The issue is when you backwash, you will lose salt which will then need to be replaced. But it isn't as much as what a sand filter would be. But if you close a pool and open to an algae swamp, then I would avoid a cartridge unless you can put in a bypass.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Whatever you choose fit filtration will be fine. Just a matter of how fine. Is water really expensive? Sand wastes the most water and also doesn't filter quite as fine. DE has great filtration, wastes less water but you have to buy and handle DE more. Cartridges waste the least water and filter very well but more manual cleaning. I like my sand, manual chlorination for now but considering SWG in the future.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

If you size the DE filter large enough, you will not have to backwash very often and will thus no lose salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Yes DE will work fine with a SWG. The issue is when you backwash, you will lose salt which will then need to be replaced. But it isn't as much as what a sand filter would be. But if you close a pool and open to an algae swamp, then I would avoid a cartridge unless you can put in a bypass.
    Good point about salt (and CYA) with a sand. Sand will change the ppm levels of those more than other options.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons