NJ pool preconstruction

Jun 3, 2014
NJ
I just found this wonderful board while researching pools. I am located in NJ and am a new homeowner looking to build a pool by next summer. Any advice that can be given or links to answer my questions will be greatly appreciated.
I am looking at a 20x30 gunite pool. It is on sale now for $39,999 installed and ready to swim. I checked them out with the BBB and they had 12 negative reviews. Should I run? They have been in business for a longtime.
Oh I chose Gunite because my back yard has water and all the pool places told me a fiberglass pool would float as did my neighbors who own pools.
I am going to finance my pool and am wondering what is a realistic number? I am thinking $75,000 total. Is $35,000 in the ball park for cement and extras? Or should I budget higher? My dad is an architect who works for a builder. I will get a few breaks.
Any do/don'ts?
Thank you in advance for your help,
Chas

I don't think the $40K price is too bad. For equipment, I would suggest a variable speed pump (lower electricity usage), oversized filter (less frequent cleaning), and oversized SWG ( longer cell life and less frequent chlorine dosage).

Thank you for all the advice JM. Wrote it all down. Started a pool journal.
Does anyone know what needs to be done when you have water in your back yard? I can see my both neighbors have their pools built up high.
Also I am thinking of adding a spa. Good idea...bad idea?

Built up mound is common here is Louisiana for people with in ground pool in low lying areas, it is common to build up the decking area with the dirt that is excavated digging the pool, this can raise the pool about a foot above the surrounding land, and keeps rain water from running into the pool which can be a real problem in a region where flash floods with several inches of rainfall in just a couple of hours are somewhat common. There are also other techniques used in such locations, these include dry wells around the pool parameter, hydrostatic plugs in the bottom of the pool for pressure relief, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.