How to heat an Intex pool

Jun 3, 2014
Centennial, CO
Hi all! New member here. I just purchased the Intex 12 x 24 Ultra frame pool and am looking for ways to heat it that are not solar powered.
Most places I have looked say you can't put a regular pool heater on an Intex pool. I also have the altitude problem to deal with as I am located in Colorado.
I have seen pictures of the Hayward H100 on here, which I like. However, it won't work (supposedly) at my altitude. Has anyone put a bigger heater on their Intex pool and how much modification/work was it? I'm looking for suggestions.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A good first step would be using a cover, especially at night.
Why the aversion to solar heating?
I am not sure what would need to be done regarding putting a true heater on the intex pool. At a minimum I would imagine having to use some portion of CPVC on the heater instead of the little hoses.

Thanks for the replies. Solar doesn't work very well in the pool's location. I have too many trees in my yard and can only get good sun about 4 hours a day.
I used a solar heater on my smaller pool last year, a 16'x48" Intex, with not very good results. I had about 2 weeks of warm water all summer long even with a solar cover on the pool at night and when not in use.

Tinks Papa, I have had a Hayward h250 natural gas heater connected to my 20' round Intex for the last three years without any issue. I made no particular accommodations for it, it was initially connected with flexible hose but now is hard plumbed. I can take some photos tonight and post them if you like?

I think the "can't use it on an Intex" is just a blanket statement as they have no control over how someone installs one. I don't think you would have a problem with proper precautions. The bigger problem will be the altitude issue as the heater might not have enough adjustment to get the air fuel mixture correct. Maybe a heating system expert in your area might be able to help out with this part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.