Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to heat an Intex pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How to heat an Intex pool

Hi all! New member here. I just purchased the Intex 12 x 24 Ultra frame pool and am looking for ways to heat it that are not solar powered.
    Most places I have looked say you can't put a regular pool heater on an Intex pool. I also have the altitude problem to deal with as I am located in Colorado.
    I have seen pictures of the Hayward H100 on here, which I like. However, it won't work (supposedly) at my altitude. Has anyone put a bigger heater on their Intex pool and how much modification/work was it? I'm looking for suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to heat an Intex pool

sorry i cant help you but ive seen people on this forum who have used pool heatesr for their intex pools and it works just fine. I hope someone can help
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x48" sand filter w/intex SWG.
    Pool Blaster Max Vacuum
    3rd year with Intex and no problems
    Pentair Mastertemp BTU 125/ propane
    Taylor K2006 Complete FAS-DPD

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

A good first step would be using a cover, especially at night.
    Why the aversion to solar heating?
    I am not sure what would need to be done regarding putting a true heater on the intex pool. At a minimum I would imagine having to use some portion of CPVC on the heater instead of the little hoses.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. Solar doesn't work very well in the pool's location. I have too many trees in my yard and can only get good sun about 4 hours a day.
    I used a solar heater on my smaller pool last year, a 16'x48" Intex, with not very good results. I had about 2 weeks of warm water all summer long even with a solar cover on the pool at night and when not in use.

5. Back To Top    #5

Tinks Papa, I have had a Hayward h250 natural gas heater connected to my 20' round Intex for the last three years without any issue. I made no particular accommodations for it, it was initially connected with flexible hose but now is hard plumbed. I can take some photos tonight and post them if you like?
    Saltwater 8000 27' Round x 54". 17000 gallons
    Intex SWG
    Hayward Power Flo 3/4HP pump-Hayward Perflex EC40 DE Filter-Hayward
    H250 Natural gas Heater-My own gas well in back yard ;-)

6. Back To Top    #6

I used an H150 on my 16' by 48" deep intex pool.

Here is what I did with pictures. Works great!!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...for-intex-pool

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I think the "can't use it on an Intex" is just a blanket statement as they have no control over how someone installs one. I don't think you would have a problem with proper precautions. The bigger problem will be the altitude issue as the heater might not have enough adjustment to get the air fuel mixture correct. Maybe a heating system expert in your area might be able to help out with this part.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump