Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my roof feasible for use of solar panels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my roof feasible for use of solar panels?

I recently received a quote to have solar panels installed. The price made me nauseous and since there is only one company in my area that installs solar systems I began to consider a DIY install to save what would end up being thousands of dollars. However, having read that a south facing system is optimal with west being second best then east and north being a "don't do it", I wanted to post a photo of my roof to get opinions on whether or not solar is even a viable option for my situation. By the way, I now have a screen enclosure built for the pool. As you can see in the photo, I have no south facing roof space. What little bit that is even peaking southward is southeast and is a very small amount....one or two panels worth at best unless I used the space toward the front of the house, which I'd rather not. The only other space that's large enough to install a few panels faces northeast. The more I look at it the more I think that solar is simply not the best option for my situation. I suppose I could ground mount the panels on a rack but I'm really not thrilled about having that monstrosity taking up space. So what do you guys think? Should I consider solar with the majority of the panels facing northeast or should I consider other means of heating like heat pump or gas heater. I live on the Gulf coast in Panama City, FL.

Roof layout.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my roof feasible for use of solar panels?

If it were mine and I was facing this situation I think I would consider building a pergola on the north east side of the pool and mount the solar panels on top of it, this could give you a semi shaded pergola that also acted as a rack to mount the solar panels facing south west.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    If it were mine and I was facing this situation I think I would consider building a pergola on the north east side of the pool and mount the solar panels on top of it, this could give you a semi shaded pergola that also acted as a rack to mount the solar panels facing south west.

Ike
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. Southeast of the pool would probably be feasible but not as good because of shade from the house.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Given, your land, I would rather put it somewhere there than on a roof. Mine are on my roof but not because I want them there but because I don't have anywhere else to put them.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

The roof would work, but you would likely have to split up the panels and it would be a little extra complicated plumbing. You would just want them to be on any of the light areas in that picture.

With that much land, a pergola like Isaac suggested or even a rack on the ground might be easier.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

There is another post on here a few down from yours about "Solar Attic" which apparently transfers heat from the attic to the pool. I have no idea about the product or the cost but if you do not have a good siting for solar panels, and you live in Florida and have a hot attic, maybe that would be worth looking into. We have solar panels that work great but our roof faces southwest. Later in the year, with the sun at a lesser angle the solar panels do not provide the same heat. I can't believe that a northeast facing siting would give you the heat you are looking for.
    30 ft. round Aqua Leader agp with dished out center 23,800 gallons; 1.5 hp Hayward pro matrix pump; Hayward EC50 DE filter; solar panels; solar cover