Turned green and numbers are way off! Help!

tcbdab

Mar 22, 2014
Linden NC
I am so frustrated this pool season already!!!

My levels were all good and within range. I upped the ph from 7.2 to 7.5 in hopes to clear up the cloudiness. Until three days ago -- my water started turning green again. I had issues last year with yellow mustard algae so I shocked at mustard levels (34) with 8.25% clorax. It did not do anything to the green water. Tested again today and my ph is 8.2, TA 90, CYA 75 (due to using trichlor tabs), FC 0, CH 125.

Should I add water to lower CYA and PH and go from there?????

Welcome to TFP!

Your main problem is lack of chlorine. You don't have any now, and the algae is growing rapidly. Once the pool goes green, the algae can consume even shock levels of chlorine a very short while. We prefer to use the term SLAM instead of shock, because it emphasizes that you need to maintain the high chlorine level until the problem is resolved. Check out SLAMing Your Pool and Defeating Algae

Whether you drain or not is up to you. 75 is borderline high. It can probably be managed, but may require a little more care than you'd need at reasonable CYA levels.

Personally if water is cheap where you live I would drain and replace about 1/3 of it, then adjust the pH followed by the slam procedure. Then stop using stabilized chlorine and maintain proper FC levels so you don't have to do this again every year.

Running pump/filter 24/7? Are you backwashing/rinsing when pressure rises 25% over clean filter psi?

Is your fill water municipal or well water?

Did you replace water to reduce CYA or retested & got a different result?

Soooo.... my pool is still green but looking better finally. I think I was having problems with the filter. I emptied the water and moved/loosen up the sand and now when I backwash it is actually cleaning itself out. @ Charlie R -- I am using the TF-100 tester kit.

So if my FC stayed at 18 over three hours in hot sun, does that mean the algae is finally dying??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.