Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How long to run Chlorinator???

How long to run Chlorinator???

I have a SWG but for the last couple of years I can't seem to keep the FC level up just by running the chlorinator. I was wondering how many hours people run theirs? I have 3 boys who swim almost every day for at least a couple of hours so I supplement w/bleach. But I'm going on vacation next week and will be gone 10 days. I'm scared I'll come back to a lot of algae. Right now I run my SWG for 8 hrs at 100% and can't keep the FC level up past 1 or 1.5. A neighbor told me he only runs his 3 hours a day. Is that possible to get chlorine in 3 hours a day???
    Templehb - 16,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, Aquapure 1400 SWG, DE filter.

Re: How long to run Chlorinator???

What is your CYA level, and how old is your cell? Have you checked the cell for build-up?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

My CYA is 55. The cell is less than a year old. We bought a new one last year thinking the old one wasn't working, but had the same results. My husband said the cell was clean.
    Templehb - 16,000 gal fiberglass inground pool, Aquapure 1400 SWG, DE filter.

It would be a good idea to raise your CYA level a little, but that isn't likely to be the problem.

Most likely you have a low level algae bloom. The solution is to shock the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School