Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is TF-50 Test Kit sufficient?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is TF-50 Test Kit sufficient?

While in Walmart, I picked up a 3-way test kit that tests for Bromine, Chlorine and Ph. Can I just purchase the TF-50 Test Kit now since I already have that other one? And, how many test will the TF-50 test kit do? Will it last me through the summer?

Also, the pool is filled and I have ordered the Salt Water Generator and Sand Filter Pump. Should I be doing anything with the water until I can get the pump and SWG hooked up?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is TF-50 Test Kit sufficient?

You can see a comparison of the test kits here: Recommended Test Kits

The TF-50 comes with much less CYA and FAS-DPD reagent and does not include the pH test.

If you avoid algae, it might get you through the summer. You should certainly be adding chlorine to the water to avoid problems starting. You also will need to add stabilizer (CYA) if this is a new fill.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, you do not have a bromine pool ... you have a chlorine pool. If that chlorine test is yellow, that is the OTO test like the TF-100 includes. IF it is a pink color matching test, that is a DPD test and that can be bleached out at high FC levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have looked at and compared the test kits. Couldn't I just order the TF-50 Kit ($45.00) and a refill of R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 oz. ($8.00) and come out cheaper than spending $68.00 for the TF-100 Kit just to get more CYA? Is there any other reagent that I will might need more of than what comes in the TF-50 kit? I could also go ahead and order a refill of it, too. Just trying to save money and I wouldn't need the Chlorine or PH test that comes with the TF-100. Just a thought.

I tried to use Pool Math to figure out how much liquid bleach to start putting in the water and it says 118 oz. if I start out with zero with a target of 5. Does that sound correct? And also using zero with a target of 80 for CYA, it is showing 122 oz. of stabilzer. I'm not sure if I am getting an accurate number since this is a new fill with no test results to go by. Each column wants a 'now' number. Do I just put zero in each one and the target number would be what shows in Recommended Levels for SWG pools?

The chlorine test I have is yellow OTO test.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by BBrock2014 View Post
    I have looked at and compared the test kits. Couldn't I just order the TF-50 Kit ($45.00) and a refill of R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 oz. ($8.00) and come out cheaper than spending $68.00 for the TF-100 Kit just to get more CYA? Is there any other reagent that I will might need more of than what comes in the TF-50 kit? I could also go ahead and order a refill of it, too. Just trying to save money and I wouldn't need the Chlorine or PH test that comes with the TF-100. Just a thought.

I tried to use Pool Math to figure out how much liquid bleach to start putting in the water and it says 118 oz. if I start out with zero with a target of 5. Does that sound correct? And also using zero with a target of 80 for CYA, it is showing 122 oz. of stabilzer. I'm not sure if I am getting an accurate number since this is a new fill with no test results to go by. Each column wants a 'now' number. Do I just put zero in each one and the target number would be what shows in Recommended Levels for SWG pools?

The chlorine test I have is yellow OTO test.
    I'll leave the comparison shopping to you.

How much you need to add depends on how big your pool is (you need to add your signature. Instructions How) and whether or not you intend to chlorinate with bleach or a saltwater generator.

We suggest opening the pool as a bleach pool and get everything balanced and THEN add the salt, raise the CYA, and turn on the SWG.

For a fresh fill, consider FC zero and CYA will be zero unless you added some powdered chlorine or stabilizer already. I'd target only 40 on the CYA initially. It's easy to add more, hard to get rid of the excess. In case you missed it, here are some directions on using poolmath.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

The TF-50 should get you through the summer IF (and this is a big IF) you stay on top of your testing and don't allow your FC to get too low for your CYA level and you don't have some sort of incident to allow an algae bloom to occur.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. Figured out how to add signature.

FC at zero with a target of 5? shows 188 oz. of bleach.
    CYA at zero with a target of 40 shows 61 oz. of stabilizer. Suggestion for where to buy stabilizer and what brand if it matters?

Now, my husband's work schedule is not going to allow him to install the new sand filter pump until possibly this Friday. Today is Tuesday and the pool has been filled for 5 days already with no pump running or anything added to the water. Is it okay to leave the water like this until he gets off or am I going to have a problem already?
    Intex 22'x52" 10,500 Gallons AG Pool w/Vinyl Liner, Intex Krystal Clear 2150 GPH 3/4 HP Sand Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System
    Installed 5-26-14.

7. Back To Top    #7

See if you can find this at your local Wal-Mart. Mine was 19 something for a 6.5 lb jug
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc26ek882s...2016.02.39.jpg

Here's a direct link
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I have looked at and compared the test kits. Couldn't I just order the TF-50 Kit ($45.00) and a refill of R-0013 CYA Refill - 8 oz. ($8.00) and come out cheaper than spending $68.00 for the TF-100 Kit just to get more CYA? Is there any other reagent that I will might need more of than what comes in the TF-50 kit?
    The TF-50 also has less of the very important FAS-DPD reagents, which also happens to be the most expensive reagents in the kit and those which are not in the test kits usually found locally. You could add the XL option for $15 and be at the same price, without the pH test, but would actually have more of the FAS-DPD and CYA reagents than would come with the TF-100.

- - - Updated - - -

This is actually a pretty compelling shopping list for someone with a pH test already:
    TF-50 + R-0013 (8oz) + FAS-DPD XL option = $68
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

If you stay on top of your chlorine level and keep the water reasonably stirred (kids splashing around) you should be fine until friday
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, the kids have been in the pool almost daily for at least a little while splashing around. Is it safe for them to be in the water if liquid bleach is added without a pump moving the water around? Or, is it not really enough (only 109 oz.) of bleach distributed in 10,500 gallons of water to really matter?
    Intex 22'x52" 10,500 Gallons AG Pool w/Vinyl Liner, Intex Krystal Clear 2150 GPH 3/4 HP Sand Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System
    Installed 5-26-14.

11. Back To Top    #11

You should not add the bleach with the kids in the pool. Add the bleach and brush the pool thoroughly, then let the kids back in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok. That makes sense about adding the bleach. Thanks.

Can Taylor brand R-0013 CYA be used in TF-50/100 test kits? Does it really matter what the brand name is? I found a Taylor Technologies 16 oz. bottle on Amazon for $7.00 + $5.15 shipping. That sounds like a great deal if you can mix up the brands.
    Installed 5-26-14.

13. Back To Top    #13

TF test kits use Taylor reagents ... so it is the same stuff. That is kind of a ridiculous amount of CYA reagent, but it should not go bad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Also without circulation should slowly pour the bleach around the perimeter, bleach is heavier than water and will sink until it is mixed, this could leave it in strong concentration at the bottom of the pool below where you pour it and potentially bleach out your liner if it is not stirred.

Ike

15. Back To Top    #15

I bought a 2oz bottle locally for around $11. I'm now using the bottle to refill from the 16OZ.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Good to know. I will definitely stir the water well after adding the bleach around the perimeter. Thanks!
    Installed 5-26-14.

17. Back To Top    #17

I added the bleach yesterday evening and stirred it up pretty good. This morning I went out and now the water is green and I did my first chlorine test. The first time I did it, I forgot to mix it before comparing the yellow color. It looked to be either 3.0 or 5.0 on that test. So I tested it again and mixed it this time. The second time it looks like 1.5, I guess. This is really hard to match these yellow shades. I have not added anything else to the water yet as explained above, just bleach. My husband just worked off at 4am this morning so he will start working on getting the pump hooked up either this afternoon or definitely tomorrow. I will be using a sand filter pump and SWG. What should I be doing now?
    Installed 5-26-14.

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok. That makes sense about adding the bleach. Thanks.

Can Taylor brand R-0013 CYA be used in TF-50/100 test kits? Does it really matter what the brand name is? I found a Taylor Technologies 16 oz. bottle on Amazon for $7.00 + $5.15 shipping. That sounds like a great deal if you can mix up the brands.

I like to support the owners of this site that have provided me with a ton of help and buy from Duraleigh ..... i'm guessing Amazon won't help much if you have pool issues!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

19. Back To Top    #19

Your description of the OTO chlorine test is exactly why we recommend the test kits we do ... Sure the water is yellow in the test, but very hard to come up with a corresponding number.

You have been told what to do already:
    Get the CYA into the recommended range and maintain FC with bleach until the SWG is installed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Sorry, if I sound stupid here but I am new to the whole pool thing. That's why I am asking questions. I have re-read everything up to this point and will try harder not to ask a question that has already been answered. Sorry!

I have ordered the TF-50 Test Kit but I have not received it yet. I used the OTO test I had already purchased and thought it would be the same test that would have come with the TF-100 Test kit so I didn't purchase that one. I am just a little freaked out by the green water but will be adding CYA shortly. Will that clear up the green water and can I ask how long that should take? I am glad to have this forum to help me but please remember that I know NOTHING about this. That's why I'm here.

Thank you everybody for all of your help!
    Installed 5-26-14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast