Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Guy here, am I crazy for looking at ordering a kit offline and installing it

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Guy here, am I crazy for looking at ordering a kit offline and installing it

Hello all I have been over researching pools and think I can save approx $2000 if I purchase a pool online and install it myself. I would plan on renting a skid steer and dig down, hopfully a few feet, in order to partially bury part of the pool. If I hit something then I would stop there . The two places I have narrowed it down to liking their website and offerings are thepoolfactory.com and discountpoolsdirect.com. Does anyone have any feedback about them, or have a better recommendation? This is the package I am leaning towards at the first place:
    My Pool Package

30'x54" Signature RTL Round Pool
    30'x54" Round Uni-Bead Catalina Liner - 25 Gauge
    AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump 2 Year Warranty
    Grand Entrance Steps with Outside Ladder 400700, 400900
    30' Round Peel N' Stick Foam Pool Cove
    30' Round Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad
    Deluxe Pool Cleaning Kit - 5 Piece
    30' Round Supreme Guard Winter Cover
    Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light 98605000
    - See more at: http://www.thepoolfactory.com/checkout/cart/#items

all for $3690 Is this a good deal, I have picked their top filter and step selection.

The other option from them I like is:

My Pool Package

30'x54" Constellation S Round Pool
    30'x54" Round Uni-Bead Catalina Liner - 25 Gauge
    AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump 2 Year Warranty
    Grand Entrance Steps with Outside Ladder 400700, 400900
    30' Round Peel N' Stick Foam Pool Cove
    30' Round Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad
    Deluxe Pool Cleaning Kit - 5 Piece
    30' Round Supreme Guard Winter Cover
    Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light 98605000
    - See more at: http://www.thepoolfactory.com/checkout/cart/#items

It is for $4212, not sure I can justify the additional cost.

Lastly I see you all are a fan of the BBB method, locally they are pushing prestine blue and permasalt vs chlorine. Please don't kill me but are they alot easier to manage for a brand new person to pools? Thanks for any help you can offer in advance. Oh I I would plan to add decking around most if not all of the pool at some point.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Guy here, am I crazy for looking at ordering a kit offline and installin

Welcome to TFP!!!

First, both of the packages look the same to me ... maybe a copy/paste issue.

Second, adding copper to the water does not make anything easier. You still have to maintain all the other levels with the "bonus" of having to worry about the copper level getting too high and cause ugly staining and green hair. Stick with chlorine. Search the forum for either of those products and you will find a LOT of threads discussing them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Pool Guy here, am I crazy for looking at ordering a kit offline and installin

No I do not think you are crazy. A lot of folks install there own pool. It just depends on the level of DIY you are ok with. I do not have any feedback on either place but I have bought things from www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com and have been happy with them.
    30' round Swip N Play Islamorada above ground pool with Hayward Pro Series 220T sand filter, 1HP Hayward Super pump, and Hayward SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well hey... if you're crazy for thinking about it, I'm insane for doing it!

My insane pool build!!!

I bought my pool from PoolSupplyWorld.com... Check them out!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Please, please, please stay away from the Blue.... Neighbor down the street and I put up identical pools last year in May. I used this method all year, they used "Simple Blue". I was swimming in crystal clear water until September. They stopped early in August due to hazy green tinted water and the high costs of all the other magic powders the store tried to sell them.
    24 foot 54 inch AGP, 14.5k gallons, 1hp pump, 120 sq foot cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

One other big problem with mineral systems that add copper to the pool water is that copper only helps kill algae it does little or nothing to control potentially dangerous bacteria and viruses that may be in the water. As a result you could have a clear pool that is harboring dangerous pathogens, with a chlorine pool, you can generally safely use algae is a visible guide that the chlorine is doing its job, as chlorine not only kills algae, but also most common types of bacteria and viruses, some just at a slower rate than others.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Follow the TFPC and you'll swim every day of the summer in beautiful, crystal clear water. Purchase a TF100 and read the articles in Pool School and you can't go wrong!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, you're crazy.

There is no magic potion that will keep your pool perfect with no care.
    Pristine Blue is not certified for public swimming pools! But private pools are not regulated.

And I doubt it's that easy, either. Otherwise, why would they need this full line of chemicals?

It uses copper. Check the FAQ. Why is there so much emphasis on stains, hmm?
    Copper is a great algaecide - there's no question about that. They use copper sulfate in ponds to kill weeds. It's like the Roundup of the aquatic world as far as plant killing. But it doesn't kill bacteria or viruses fast enough to prevent disease transmission person-to-person. Bleach does. And it also kills algae. So why not just use one product for both?

And misleading advertising. Direct quote: "PristineBlue® is environmentally friendly, EPA registered as an algicide/bactericide*and Certified for addition to drinking water by NSF International. " The * footnote says "*Nonpublic Health Bacteria" Too bad the NSF has different standards for swimming pool water and drinking water. Drinking water is NSF 61; Recreational Water is NSF 50. Wouldn't they put it in big bold letters that it was certified for use in recreational waters if it was?

Permasalt also uses copper, and it requires
    "1. Weekly water test to balance all levels including alkalinity, pH, calcium, and natural minerals.
    5. Shock every other week with one bag of Activate per 10,000 gallons of pool water.6. Add one pint of Klairate per 10,000 gallons directly into pool.
    7. The Chamber needs to be replaced approximately every season, or when the "Chamber" indicates."

How much do those potions cost, I wonder?

Here's a lengthy post in Pool School that discusses alternative systems as well: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ools-The-Truth!

If you use the search box for "pristine blue" or "Permasalt" you will find many threads about it.

In short, we have a system that works. We refer to it as TFPC. We use it, it works, it doesn't require any secret proprietary ingredients, and most of the stuff is available cheaply at local stores. We practice what we preach.
    Last edited by jblizzle; 06-03-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Removed non-value-added sentence at end
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

What Richard Said.... This site will save you hundreds on pool chemicals...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven